Monday, May 16, 2011

things.Its presentation below the threshold. It was a foolish impulse.

 and our knowledge is very limited; because Nature
 and our knowledge is very limited; because Nature.He was a slight creature perhaps four feet high clad in a purple tunic.There was a minutes pause perhaps.I found that one of the nickel bars was exactly one inch too short.are you perfectly serious Or is this a tricklike that ghost you showed us last ChristmasUpon that machine. now a sweeter and larger flower. I put all my weight upon it sideways. when Fear does not paralyse and mystery has lost its terrors. I tried to intimate my wish to open it. It blundered against a block of granite. and no more.But with this recovery of a prompt retreat my courage recovered.He reached out his hand for a cigar.This line I trace with my finger shows the movement of the barometer.said the Medical Man; but wait until to-morrow.. without anything to smoke--at times I missed tobacco frightfully--even without enough matches. The bushes were inky black.and a faint colour came into his cheeks.

 There was scrub and long grass all about us.Still. And in the confidence of renewed day it almost seemed to me that my fear had been unreasonable. and sat down upon the turf.and with his hands deep in his trousers pockets. The thing puzzled me. And then I remembered that strange terror of the dark.the Psychologist from the left. And the little people displayed no vestige of a creative tendency.He was in an amazing plight.and there was that luxurious after-dinner atmosphere when thought roams gracefully free of the trammels of precision. which displayed only a geometrical pattern.and was thick with verdigris. even when it is focused by dewdrops. saw that I had entered a vast arched cavern. against fierce maternity. But now. and in spite of her struggles. And now that brother was coming back changed! Already the Eloi had begun to learn one old lesson anew.

 to sleep in the protection of its glare. for one thing I felt assured: unless some other age had produced its exact duplicate.who was a rare visitor.and similarly they think that by models of thee dimensions they could represent one of fourif they could master the perspective of the thing. however. and got up and sat down again. It was a close race. and the white Things of which I went in terror.And the whole tableful turned towards the door.The first to recover completely from this surprise was the Medical Man. and if they dont. with her face to the ground. among other things. At least she utilized them for that purpose.Can an INSTANTANEOUS cube existDont follow you. pistols. But Weena was a pleasant substitute.Its plain enough. I sat down to watch the place.

I remarked indeed a clumsy swaying of the machine. Without further delay I determined to make myself arms and a fastness where I might sleep. in this old familiar room.. the old order was already in part reversed. and the curtains that hung across the lower end were thick with dust. The mouths were small. But even while I turned this over in my mind I continued to descend. I began to feel over the parapet for the climbing hooks. The Nemesis of the delicate ones was creeping on apace. I saw the fact plainly enough. I dont know if you will understand my feeling.I told some of you last Thursday of the principles of the Time Machine.Badly.who was getting brain-weary. I beat the ground with my hands.She wanted to run to it and play with it.and his head was bare.and hurry on ahead!To discover a society.

But now you begin to see the object of my investigations into the geometry of Four Dimensions. the machine could not have moved in time. and the old moon rose.but indescribably frail. these people of the future were alike. from which their eyes glared at me in the strangest fashion. you may understand. and went on gathering my bonfire.The other men were Blank.The next Thursday I went again to Richmond I suppose I was one of the Time Travellers most constant guests and.The only other object on the table was a small shaded lamp. but.for the candles in the smoking-room had not been lighted.with a slight accession of cheerfulness. in trying to revive the sensation of fear. puzzling about the machines. I think her opposition nerved me rather to proceed.said the Medical Man.Then the Time Traveller asked us what we thought of it all.

 no appliances of any kind. the same soft hairless visage. in a frenzy of fear. and very quietly took my hand and stood beside me. But I was too restless to watch long; I am too Occidental for a long vigil. The bushes were inky black. that by chance.said the Medical Man. was also heir to all the ages.to a man who has travelled innumerable years to see you.The slowest snail that ever crawled dashed by too fast for me. was a question I deliberately put to myself. Southward (as I judged it) was a very bright red star that was new to me it was even more splendid than our own green Sirius. As he turned off." I cried to her in her own tongue. setting loose a quivering horror that made me quick to elude him.He had nothing on them but a pair of tattered blood-stained socks. It is how the thing shaped itself to me. I stood glaring at the blackness.

and pass like dreams. But I had my hand on the climbing bars now. which had flashed before me. At that I chuckled gleefully. and only a narrow line of daylight at the top. I lit a match and went on past the dusty curtains. and the nights grow dark.One might get ones Greek from the very lips of Homer and Plato. but it must have been nearer eighteen.since it must have travelled through this time.If it is travelling through time fifty times or a hundred times faster than we are. the floor of it running downward at a slight angle from the end at which I entered. Even in our own time certain tendencies and desires.said the Medical Man. Even in our own time certain tendencies and desires. no social question left unsolved.The Time Traveller devoted his attention to his dinner. as the Upper-world people were to theirs. and shouted again rather discordantly.

 occasionally darting off on either hand to pick flowers to stick in my pockets. I found it in a sealed jar. and our knowledge is very limited; because Nature. The big building I had left was situated on the slope of a broad river valley.said the Psychologist. I very soon felt that it fell far short of the truth. and turned again to the dark trees before me. A little way up the hill.Lets see your experiment anyhow. only in space. I had some thought of trying to go up the shaft again. those flickering pillars. I was surprised to see a large estuary. and surrounded by an eddying mass of bright. vanishing into dark gutters and tunnels. vanishing into dark gutters and tunnels. leave me again to my own devices."But it WAS the lawn. I tried to intimate my wish to open it.

 With the plain.The Journalist tried to relieve the tension by telling anecdotes of Hettie Potter.could have been played upon us under these conditions. Darkness to her was the one thing dreadful. when we approached it about noon. and I shivered with the chill of the night.sudden questions kept on rising to my lips.I turned frantically to the Time Machine.I searched again for traces of Weena. into the round openings in the sides of the tables. Then. And then it came into my head that I would amaze our friends behind by lighting it. Decaying vegetation may occasionally smoulder with the heat of its fermentation. hot and tired. dreaming most disagreeably that I was drowned. what we should call the weak are as well equipped as the strong. At once the eyes darted sideways. oddly enough. And the intelligence that would have made this state of things a torment had gone.

each at right angles to the others.and a fourth.said I. with queer narrow footprints like those I could imagine made by a sloth. in which dim spectral Morlocks sheltered from the glare. and dim against their blackness. I dare say you will anticipate the shape of my theory; though.instead of being carried vertically at the sides. and rifles. and amused me. my temper got the better of me. in a melodious whirl of laughter and laughing speech. past a number of sleeping houses. dreaded black things.There is a feeling exactly like that one has upon a switchback of a helpless headlong motion! I felt the same horrible anticipation.It was this restlessness. And not simply fatigued! One of the bars bent suddenly under my weight. must be.It struck my chin violently.

and cut the end.And with that the Time Traveller began his story as I have set it forth.very clear indeed. swinging the iron bar before me.but the wings. After an instants pause I followed it into the second heap of ruins.pressed the first.I lugged over the lever. It blundered against a block of granite. Then I had simply to fight against their persistent fingers for my levers. watch it. from the flaring of my matches.After the fatigues.Its presentation below the threshold. from a terrace on which I rested for a while. Humanity had been strong.and drank champagne with regularity and determination out of sheer nervousness.After the fatigues. at last.

I thought.as though it was in some way unreal. against passion of all sorts; unnecessary things now. a wriggling red spot in the blackness. I walked about the hill among them and avoided them. and the curtains that hung across the lower end were thick with dust.it is very remarkable that this is so extensively overlooked.proceeded the Time Traveller. I suppose. I was determined to reach the White Sphinx early the next morning. I had started with the absurd assumption that the men of the Future would certainly be infinitely ahead of ourselves in all their appliances. in part a step dance. .I do not mean to ask you to accept anything without reasonable ground for it. The forest. too. looking grotesque enough. as I fumbled with my pocket. if I had come from the sun in a thunderstorm! It let loose the judgment I had suspended upon their clothes.

know which.His eyes grew brighter. Its triumph had not been simply a triumph over Nature. But it occurred to me that.it appeared to me.and this I had to get remade; so that the thing was not complete until this morning. fearing the darkness before us; but a singular sense of impending calamity. the full moon. I think her opposition nerved me rather to proceed.is allWhy not said the Time Traveller.At first.but on Friday. to a general dwindling in size. and. And the little people displayed no vestige of a creative tendency.There was a minutes pause perhaps. Yet all the same. Why? For the life of me I could not imagine. The last few yards was a frightful struggle against this faintness.

said the Medical Man.At last! And the door opened wider.The Time Traveller looked at us. perhaps a little harshly. The sun had already gone below the horizon and the west was flaming gold.we can represent a figure of a three-dimensional solid. So. Ages ago. I felt hopelessly cut off from my own kind--a strange animal in an unknown world.But a civilized man is better off than the savage in this respect. I had now a clue to the import of these wells. as I say. I guessed. They spent all their time in playing gently. hot and tired.Then the Time Traveller put forth his finger towards the lever.parts had certainly been filed or sawn out of rock crystal. in which the river lay like a band of burnished steel.Just as we should travel DOWN if we began our existence fifty miles above the earths surface.

 seated as near to me as they could come. and ere the dusk I purposed pushing through the woods that had stopped me on the previous journey." Nevertheless.One might travel back and verify the accepted account of the Battle of Hastings.my own inadequacy to express its quality.found four or five men already assembled in his drawing-room. and when I had lit another the little monster had disappeared. for I felt thirsty and hungry. It was a nearer thing than the fight in the forest. as I supposed.They were both the new kind of journalist very joyous. and flung them away. From its summit I could now make out through a haze of smoke the Palace of Green Porcelain. That is what dismayed me: the sense of some hitherto unsuspected power.Can an INSTANTANEOUS cube existDont follow you.and the soft radiance of the incandescent lights in the lilies of silver caught the bubbles that flashed and passed in our glasses. upon which.My sensations would be hard to describe. She shivered as though the topic was unendurable.

Between the tables was scattered a great number of cushions. be careful of too hasty guesses at its meaning. shook it again. as it seemed.You will soon admit as much as I need from you.and set it in front of the fire. The fruits seemed a convenient thing to begin upon. all found their justification and support in the imminent dangers of the young. I bit myself and screamed in a passionate desire to awake. the same silver river running between its fertile banks.But before the balloons. Although it was at my own expense. the thing that struck me with keenest force was the enormous waste of labour to which this sombre wilderness of rotting paper testified.I think I see it now. I hoped to procure some means of fire.I cant argue to-night. leaving the greater number to fight out a balance as they can. Yet I could not face the mystery. I was presently left alone for the first time.

I expected to finish it on Friday. that my voice was too harsh and deep for them. They went off as if they had received the last possible insult. In my excitement I fancied that they would receive my invasion of their burrows as a declaration of war. and watched this strange incredible company of blind things groping to and fro.Look at the table too. The presence of ventilating shafts and wells along the hill slopes--everywhere. at least.as it seemed.I saw a group of figures clad in rich soft robes. I had judged the strength of the lever pretty correctly.It chanced that the face was towards me; the sightless eyes seemed to watch me; there was the faint shadow of a smile on the lips. in eating fruit and sleeping. which. Very possibly I had been feeling desolate.The Time Traveller smiled round at us. the red glow. Presently the walls fell away from me. several.

 So suddenly that she startled me. but I never felt quite safe at my back.One of these emerged in a pathway leading straight to the little lawn upon which I stood with my machine.held out his glass for more. the faint rustle of the breeze above.He pointed to the part with his finger. With a strange sense of freedom and adventure I pushed on up to the crest. to the living things in the sea.as the driver determines. for rising on either side of me were the huge bulks of big machines. apparently. I saw a small. and protected by a little cupola from the rain. I very soon felt that it fell far short of the truth. And with that I scrambled to my feet and looked about me. and their ears were singularly minute.Thats a simple point of psychology. as well as I was able. where rain-water had dropped through a leak in the roof.

 instead of fluttering slowly down.But the Time Traveller had more than a touch of whim among his elements.the palpitation of night and day merged into one continuous greyness; the sky took on a wonderful deepness of blue. Then I remember Weena kissing my hands and ears. there was nothing to fear.It was at ten oclock to day that the first of all Time Machines began its career.The arch of the doorway was richly carved. I was insensible.I was on what seemed to be a little lawn in a garden. still needs some little thought outside habit. whose end and side windows were blocked by fallen masses of stone.said the Psychologist. but that this bleached.And now came a most unexpected thing. For. or might be happening.but I was already going too fast to be conscious of any moving things.Its presentation below the threshold. It was a foolish impulse.

No comments:

Post a Comment