Tuesday, May 10, 2011

telephone wires were cut.Goodevening. I said.

 Tenente Can I help in any way He was the quietest one of the four
 Tenente Can I help in any way He was the quietest one of the four. Ill send your English girl. But dont be a fool. Roma. father. I said.It was just beyond where we turned off. I stop by. It was in France of course. We caught them and passed them and turned off on a road that climbed up into the hills. We were just beginning to get some of them. Manera said.

 and my winter boots. TenenteYoure damned right.I see. The little major looked at us furious. I sat now in the chair and an orderly of some sort looked at me disapprovingly from behind a desk while I looked at the marble floor. Naples. Here they would never have arrested him. Inside there was a light. ha! he said.They may crack. Manera said. Rinaldi said goodnight.

Rinaldi went out with me.That night at the mess I sat next to the priest and he was disappointed and suddenly hurt that I had not gone to the Abruzzi. I kissed both her shut eyes. chilblains. waxy looking.Oh. He said there was so much dirt blown into the wound that there had not been much hemorrhage. Miss Barkley said. the major said to the two stretcher bearers. They took off my trousers and the medical captain commenced dictating to the sergeant adjutant while he worked. Is there anything youd like to talk aboutBut I do love you. They arent girls; they are old war comrades.

 Its much cooler. Rinaldi was sitting on the bed with a copy of Hugos English grammar.Do we eat yet. It tells you about those priests.Slit the tunic. bulged forward under the capes so that the men. I wouldnt be able to get the stretcher out alone. gonorrhea. It is a disgrace that they should stay so long that they become friends. Everybody hates this war. I could pull backward along with my arms and elbows. Not Ba?chus.

 No one to come in at night from adventures. We wont drop you again. It was a nasty place and the Austrians should not have let them hold it. They had always cracked in other wars. It was hot walking through the town but the sun was starting to go down and it was very pleasant. There had been a little town but it was all rubble. I am listening. Well stop by the road here.Of course they dont. I looked at the tires carefully. That should handle them.Bersaglieri.

 Gordini said. You better not go up there drunk. What an odd thing--to be in the Italian army.Bring him in.Ill get some. Stop it. Back at the villa I went upstairs to the room. The other cars pulled up. Bacchus. His breath went away. At first it dropped slowly and regularly. I identified them by their red and white striped collar mark.

 maam. Mr. she said. They were hospitals beyond the river. Did you stay all nightYes. It looked as though it might be a mess. she said. This took place at B?ziers.He cant do anything about it anyway. Ive seen your Tenente. There. A shell had fallen and while we waited three others fell up the road.

 I saw that word pricked him and kept on. Some bersaglieri. I watched her face. But dont be a fool. I took her hands. Rinaldi took the note.Also they make money out of it.I went out the door and suddenly I felt lonely and empty.I didnt say anything. You like herNo. schutzen stock. Were not cloistered.

No. Bring on something serious. English.One of those shot by the carabinieri is from my town. he pointed to the thumb. I thought she was very beautiful and I took her hand. Bacchus.Isnt there anywhere we can goNo. The priest was good but dull. I repeated it. Im sorry for your head. the basins and the stoppered bottles.

 The British had come with three ambulances and they had two men on each ambulance. I said. Would you like us to take the carsThats what I wanted to ask you. My knee wasnt there.Do we have to go on and talk this wayNo. the leather shiny with oil. all this in a moment.It is very valuable. The Englishman broke into voluble and perfect Italian. I said. the steel helmet on the same peg.I went everywhere.

 I could see the light come out from the dressing station when the curtain opened and they brought some one in or out. the fighting in the mountains beyond the town. she said. He hoped the road would not jam. I could look down through the woods and see. I said. the King passing in his motor car. and instead of going on I felt myself slide back. I kissed her hard and held her tight and tried to open her lips; they were closed tight. I said. The outlines of the cypresses that lined it were sharp and clear. He said that if the thing went well he would see that I was decorated.

 the drivers walking along beside the mules wearing red fezzes. But I did not know that then. Dio te salve. His breath went away. I drove coming back and went fast with the empty car to find the man from Pittsburgh. The offensive was going to start again I heard. I am an atheist. I must do something about getting you out of here.He does really. the cool nights. He is a priest; he will appreciate it.The plain was rich with crops there were many orchards of fruit trees and beyond the plain the mountains were brown and bare.

 Ireland of Wisconsin. Rinaldi. Go on. No one to make fun of.I sat on a chair and held my cap. as I said.SeeI put my Saint Anthony back in the capsule. walking carefully in the slush. Rinaldi took the note. There were racks of rockets standing to be touched off to call for help from the artillery or to signal with if the telephone wires were cut.Goodevening. I said.

No comments:

Post a Comment