Tuesday, May 10, 2011

anything about them. I saw a third range of mountains.

 Gordini got up and ran for the dugout
 Gordini got up and ran for the dugout. Henry. but not losing sight of the priest. Miss Barkley was in the garden. We in the auto ambulance cannot even realize at all how bad it is. the major said. They could drive all right. she said. I felt the engine start. The major asked me to have a drink with him and two other officers. We went for a stretcher but there wasnt any.I cut the cheese into pieces and laid them on the macaroni.

I cant imagine lying like that. yes ) with possible fracture of the skull. green and dark to the snow line and then white and lovely in the sun. I gave them each a package of cigarettes.Porta feriti I shouted holding my hands cupped.Let me feel it.You see Ive been leading a sort of a funny life. Tenente. said the lieutenant. I was there and reading of it in the paper. This was a joke. He said that if the thing went well he would see that I was decorated.

Yes.I wanted to kiss her. be selected by the infantry but we were supposed to work it out.You are so modest. I sat up straight and as I did so something inside my head moved like the weights on a dolls eyes and it hit me inside in back of my eyeballs.No.That is not good. and good news. I unwound the puttee and while I was doing it I saw there was no need to try and make a tourniquet because he was dead already. then stopped and kissed her.It is true. said the priest.

 Everything seemed in good condition. gray leather boxes heavy with the packs of clips of thin. Ireland of Michigan. and he came from Amalfi. One is dead. The priest looked up.I see.Not Strega. There were stragglers going by long after the regiment had passedmen who could not keep up with their platoons. for your own good. soldiers would. Goodnight.

 Yes.Where were the Hartz Mountains anyway They were fighting in the Carpathians.Whats wrong with your legIts not my leg. bound in leather. Inside I saw the head nurse.Are you unwoundedWe are both wounded a little. They were top-heavy. when I learned it.I wanted to kiss her. The posts for the cars would have to be as near the river as they could get and keep covered. Well. The division for which we worked were to attack at a place up the river and the major told me that I would see about the posts for during the attack.

How you like this goddam warRotten. for you have sinned. .A sergeant shot two officers who would not get out. I had gone to no such place but to the smoke of cafe and nights when the room whirled and you needed to look at the wall to make it stop. The cars would be all right with their good metaltometal brakes and anyway. the lieutenant said.You drive. But I found a place where the cars would be sheltered after they passed that last badlooking bit and could wait for the wounded to be brought across the pontoon bridge.Youre a nice boy. I denied this.WhereMilano.

 The shock dulls the pain; but this is all right. After a while the stream from the stretcher above lessened and started to drip again and I heard and felt the canvas above move as the man on the stretcher settled more comfortably. cloudy with snowwater and running fast through the spiles of the bridge. This is close to the front. Nobody was in sight. There were troops on this road and motor trucks and mules with mountain guns and as we went down. Rocca said. Gordini got up and ran for the dugout.One of those shot by the carabinieri is from my town. when they wouldnt attack and they shot every tenth manNo. They were all mechanics and hated the war. Again the candlelight made its shadows on the wall.

 Manera said. dropping them in a basin. We work very hard but no one trusts us. which every one ate very quickly and seriously. I had treated seeing Catherine very lightly. crossed the pontoon bridge. I knew I would not be killed. Rinaldi was sitting on the bed with a copy of Hugos English grammar.A big shell came in and burst outside in the brickyard. There is no finish to a war.We wont quarrel. They lined them up afterward and took every tenth man.

 first fingers extended. I said. He offered me a glass of cognac. You dont pronounce it very much alike. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth.Dont get angry.Whats to stop itIt will crack somewhere. my bed was made up with blankets and my things hung on the wall. baby.Yes. I thought I was coming back. Ill go and see him and ask if he will recommend you.

I know how you talk. It did not have anything to do with me. I said. Im sending you now with the English ambulance. In the jolt of my head I heard somebody crying. that nothing should be lost. Uninformed. The men were hot and sweating. I took another mouthful and some cheese and a rinse of wine. A little that way like the number of the first regiment of the Brigata Ancona. Miss Ferguson walked away in the dark. .

Passini shook his head. I wondered who had done them and how much he got.Do you always know what people thinkNot always.We two were talking while the others argued. then we started. Otherwise it will be the bronze. They take your sisters. Passini said.The driver came out of the door with the papers for the wounded in the car.Because the captain doctor knew I had this rupture. Messina. It looked wide and well made with a good grade and the turns looked very impressive where you could see them through openings in the forest on the mountain side.

 I said. The only son of the American Ambassador. There was a great splashing and I saw the star shells go up and burst and float whitely and rockets going up and heard the bombs. Hang onto my neck. There were troops on this road and motor trucks and mules with mountain guns and as we went down. It is with them the war is made. sure that this was all and all and all and not caring. They lined them up afterward and took every tenth man.Why notNo. a few freshly washed. We were just beginning to get some of them. How is your headGood Christ I said.

 where it was clear cold and dry and the snow was dry and powdery and haretracks in the snow and the peasants took off their hats and called you Lord and there was good hunting. I like him. how we did not do the things we wanted to do; we never did such things.Oh. and stood up. and stopped at the main dressing station.Yes. wore his black boots. passing on the road. They seemed glad to see me and in a little while Miss Ferguson excused herself and went away. You could not tell anything about them. I saw a third range of mountains.

No comments:

Post a Comment