Tuesday, May 10, 2011

mountain beyond the town was gone. Well all eat. There was a cough.

If you drop me again
If you drop me again. I did not care what I was getting into. the major said. They were laughing.No understand. The vineyards were thin and bare-branched too and all the country wet and brown and dead with the autumn.I will go and see. You like herNo.All right. I did not want to go there anyway.Whats wrong with your legIts not my leg. You should go on leave.

 I did not want to go there anyway. the orderly looking after us. Every one laughed. marched as though they were six months gone with child.Ill just step out the door a minute. There was much traffic at night and many mules on the roads with boxes of ammunition on each side of their pack-saddles and gray motor trucks that carried men.Youre not a Catholic. And then you are so very beautiful. There were mists over the river and clouds on the mountain and the trucks splashed mud on the road and the troops were muddy and wet in their capes their rifles were wet and under their capes the two leather cartridge-boxes on the front of the belts. I am very moved to see you badly wounded.I went along the narrow road down toward the river. when I learned it.

 she said.Priest today with girls. So were all on very special behavior. Then the major told the story of the eleven Czechoslovaks and the Hungarian corporal. I said.Im English. I could have given him that anyway. He could have had anything he wanted if I would have known.Yes.Im not angry. I wouldnt be able to get the stretcher out alone. It is the captain.

 There is good hunting.Are you hit badly he asked. Not in the auto ambulance. Signor Tenente. Laugh. I wanted to go to Austria without war.I looked back and saw her standing on the steps. I was always able to forget. The major said there was an Italian story something like that about the duchess who could not sleep at night. I must make on Miss Barkley the impression of a man of sufficient wealth. Those were all the Austrians mountains and we had nothing like them. No.

 That day I visited the posts in the mountains and was back in town late in the afternoon. He looked like a king. But no. Fillipo Vincenza. and tenentecolonello (the little finger). isnt there I was brought up to think there was.Yes. Nobody had mentioned what the stakes were. Beautiful young girlsaccompanied by their mothers. We read. They take your sisters. one for troops and one for officers.

 the major said.Youd better not go out. no.Savoia. There were many more guns in the country around and the spring had come. We wont drop you again.They have big Skoda guns. We talk too much even for the Tenente. dry and white in the sun. You wont worry now. and went in under the shed and looked at each of the cars. It was hot walking through the town but the sun was starting to go down and it was very pleasant.

 Rinaldi said. All the drivers wore puttees but Passini had only one leg. In the jolt of my head I heard somebody crying. I went on home.Another night. Manera said. After some more wine I told the story of the jockey who found the penny.Now you see. Catherine asked me to tell you she was sorry she couldnt see you this evening. She did not seem tall walking toward me but she looked very lovely. then stood up. Kiss me goodby.

 They would.Rinaldi picked up the candle. This took place at B?ziers. He looked at me. Henry. They were laughing. darling.A big shell came in and burst outside in the brickyard. on purpose. You get along very well without me. It came very fast and the sun went a dull yellow and then everything was gray and the sky was covered and the cloud came on down the mountain and suddenly we were in it and it was snow. Ill clean this up a little.

 go to hell. Sometimes I think you and he are a little that way. We are all splendid. Now the fighting was in the next mountains beyond and was not a mile away.Three hundred fives.Shes Scotch.Oh. She would not let me put my arm around her.You were sweet to tell me. So were all on very special behavior. Tenente. I will go now and bring her here.

 and tears came in my eyes from the reflex. He breathed very heavily.I translated this for Miss Ferguson. You will come with me to see Miss Barkley.Oh.Tonight you will tell me everything. This was a game. She came back from wherever she had been. The war was changed too. He looked at me.Priest not happy. she said.

 went to the jail and asked to see the priest. Rinaldi.Passini shook his head. she said. He was a big smart tall boy to be in the granatieri. Alpini would.You were sweet to tell me.Had you been engaged longEight years. said the major. Anybody can take their property.Oh. They were hospitals beyond the river.

 is a short cut. Three others were up in the mountains at dressing stations.Dont you wish you could bellow like himHe bellows.You are so modest.Come. I watched the snow falling. You go away like this. It took the enamel off your teeth and left it on the roof of your mouth. Im all right. The drivers were pleased with it and I left them there. The road climbed steeply going up and back and forth through chestnut woods to level finally along a ridge.Goodnight.

 I dont mind at all.Rinaldi was talking with the other nurse. They wouldnt attack if they did.And why didnt you marryI dont know. She was not in the garden and I went to the side door of the villa where the ambulances drove up.Youre the American in the Italian army she asked. I lied. chewed. painted gray and built like moving-vans.The forest of oak trees on the mountain beyond the town was gone. Well all eat. There was a cough.

No comments:

Post a Comment