Tuesday, May 10, 2011

They dropped me once more before we reached the post.

 I said
 I said. And come to morrow night. I lied. The dead were off to one side. Ha! Ha! Ha! The captain spread his hand open. I breathed and I was back. We were in the second army. You are a frozenfaced .It belonged to a boy who was killed last year.I said I knew. This machine is no good but the others march. It came down through the forest in sharp turns.

 Manera said. But its very beautiful. Hang onto my neck. After a while the stream from the stretcher above lessened and started to drip again and I heard and felt the canvas above move as the man on the stretcher settled more comfortably. He came back with a handful of roasted coffee beans.I dried my hands and took out my pocketbook from the inside of my tunic hanging on the wall. You do me a translation and I will send it to The Lancet. And you do love meYes.Open the bottle. I sent a couple of army Zona di Guerra postcards. They wouldnt attack if they did. I said.

 It was hard and slippery. you cant kiss me here.Rinaldi picked up the candle.Goodnight. He came in very fast and bent down over the bed and kissed me.Ill see you in a little while.Come on. In a moment the blanket in front of the dressing station opened and two stretcherbearers came out followed by the tall Englishman. We will convert him. I said in Italian. go to hell.Were not far from the top.

I sat in the reception hail of the villa.Wait a minute.They cant hang every one. Besides. He offered me a glass of cognac. Shall attack!The priest nodded. There were stretchers lifted and slid into the slings above. There was a great splashing and I saw the star shells go up and burst and float whitely and rockets going up and heard the bombs. I had wanted to go to Abruzzi. A.Wonderful. little puppy.

I translated this for Miss Ferguson. lootenant. Your blood coagulates beautifully. Now the fighting was in the next mountains beyond and was not a mile away. The earth of the dugout was warm and dry and I let my shoulders back against the wall. Miss Barkley was in the garden. Everybody was in the dugouts. because they found the three per cent bonds on his person.Here is the American Tenente. the broken houses of the little town that was to be taken. you have nothing to worry about if it doesnt infect and it rarely does now. I looked at her.

 I went on home.Did they cross the river all rightEnormously.Have you seen Miss BarkleyI will bring her here. The shutters were up but it was still going on inside.I cut the cheese into pieces and laid them on the macaroni.You ought to have let me know. Then the major told the story of the eleven Czechoslovaks and the Hungarian corporal. Im awfully tired. Ill send your English girl. he said. They were top-heavy.Outside something was set down beside the entrance.

 You will like it. its smooth surface covered with brick dust. Let them keep their sisters in the house. the trees along the road had small leaves and a breeze came from the sea. I looked at her. is a short cut. Inside the dugout were the three drivers sitting against the wall. Most of the helmets were too big and came down almost over the ears of the men who wore them. Would you like us to take the carsThats what I wanted to ask you. walking under the trees.Kiss me.Are you hit badly he asked.

 In two days the offensive was to start and I would go with the cars to Plava.Porta feriti I shouted holding my hands cupped. then stopped and kissed her.That was a big trench mortar. then came the chuh chuhchuh chuh then there was a flash.I dont think it will hurt you. biting his arm. baby.When I got back to the villa it was five oclock and I went out where we washed the cars. said Bassi.Captain doctor (interested in something he was finding). Two men were lifting the hernia man to put him in.

 Somebody was singing. No one to make fun of. Not in the auto ambulance. Hold on to my neck. Were not cloistered. Always in Rome.Ill go and see now. Signor Tenente. You do me a translation and I will send it to The Lancet. I shouted to the driver. Well take you back with us. Tell me just exactly how it happened.

 He looked at me. No. as I said. Priest never with girls. The road here was below the level of the river bank and all along the side of the sunken road there were holes dug in the bank with infantry in them.I dont believe a word of this. he said. Manera said. They seemed glad to see me and in a little while Miss Ferguson excused herself and went away. I remembered where I was going. God. I learn how to do it.

 Passini said still respectfully. I love you. You could stay with my family. I did not care what I was getting into. sototenente (the thumb).Oh. Rinaldi shook his head. but instead we had Ii Generale Cadorna. Over on the right they had the Duke of Aosta. Are they going to have an offensiveYes. Manera lit his lighter and passed it around. I must go.

 I said. There is good hunting. He stopped and sat down beside the road. We grew up together. You see I didnt care about the other thing and he could have had it all. He had not had it but he understood that I had really wanted to go to the Abruzzi but had not gone and we were still friends.No.We looked at each other in the dark. I will go now and bring her here. she said.I sat on a chair and held my cap.Priest every night five against one.

 It is disgraceful. After a while the stream from the stretcher above lessened and started to drip again and I heard and felt the canvas above move as the man on the stretcher settled more comfortably.Porta feriti I shouted holding my hands cupped. I must do something about getting you out of here. Goodnight. I watched the snow falling. and then a drink of the wine. The major said there was an Italian story something like that about the duchess who could not sleep at night.We two were talking while the others argued. and tears came in my eyes from the reflex. Rocca said.They dropped me once more before we reached the post.

No comments:

Post a Comment