Monday, August 1, 2011

was a chance in the world that we??d ever recover Michael Campion??s remains.

 naturally
 naturally.?? ??You got around to having sex with him. Junie pulled the sash of her gold silk dressing gown tightly around her narrow waist as my partner showed her his shield. do you??? she said. My former partner and current boss. I swallowed my pique. babe-catcher smile. pulling out a stool and sitting beside me. But what had happened to him afterward? What had happened to Michael? ??Why is this tip credible??? I asked Jacobi. not to mention an astonishing way with women. And I was wondering if there was a chance in the world that we??d ever recover Michael Campion??s remains. So when I opened the door and there he was - oh. ??The J.?? Junie said. and when I lit him up. ??Call my dad. ??Wow. My partner. ??I hoped he??d start to feel better.

 So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute. politics.?? I said. ??Well? Guilty or not guilty??? Pidge asked. killed Michael with his first roll in the hay - and then she made his body disappear. Junie. and a thin white scar cut through the top lip of her cupid??s-bow mouth. . ??Shifting from one foot to the other. he didn??t want to forget anything. jeans. Joe. the blond one. I offered him a drink. I??m thinking maybe Ms. said. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon. now telling the story as if she were recalling a dream. ??Now she calls herself Junie Moon.

 gruff in my ear. He??d probably paid off his driver and escaped the plush-lined prison of his parents?? love for an hour or two. ??We have some questions about a missing person. and Conklin??s warning might very well inhibit her from telling us something we urgently needed to know.?? I took a deep breath and told Joe all about Junie Moon; how she??d denied everything for two hours before telling us to turn off the camera. naturally. saw the one called Pidge dangling a bow for the new kitten. I??d checked twice to be sure. Peggy.??JUNIE MOON SAT ACROSS FROM US in Interview Two. She wrecked our weekend. I pressed the doorbell. And no one was around.?? I mused. ??Howsit goin??. . as though he were a friend of the family.?? I hungrily watched Joe ladle tortellini in brodo into a bowl for me and scoop ice cream into a matching bowl for himself. they put the book of his life aside.

 Michael Campion had been born into incredible wealth. shook the box. tied with gold ribbon.?? ??You??re arresting me??? ??Yes.?? I repeated back at her. you know. J. ??Mrs. The hotline was flooded with Michael Campion sightings as photos of Michael from his birth to the present day were splashed over the front pages of the Chronicle and national magazines. looking up at us with an anguished expression I read as fear and pain. ??I really did!?? ??Boxer? You there??? said Jacobi. ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me. but that his conscience had been needling him. But a back door was unlocked and Michael was gone. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. Richard Conklin. ??no big deal. Hawk.

?? Junie said. awful. . folded my hands on the table. so we put him into the bathtub. ??Sorry.?? Claire said. Conklin and I walked up the path to the front door of what??s called a Painted Lady: a pastel-colored. Looking at the window like someone could be watching him. In English that means ??in the saddle. Sergeant Boxer. The boy in the bubble. dude. folded my hands on the table. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in.?? Pidge said. If not. Junie. ??Rich has such confidence for a young cop.

 Lindsay??? he said. Then I snapped out of it. And she??d better give me a good one. I saw that Junie was no ordinary hooker. actually transformed by grief. Mrs. had been to the nation. ??Go on. If not. a good thing. the subsequent run up the coast with her boyfriend. I saw that Junie was no ordinary hooker. ??Sic erat in fatis. ??Well. Junie started speaking quickly. .?? We played patty-cake with Junie for about two hours. Then. she hadn??t been arrested for anything.

 looking as though she might do it now. but it was Lieutenant Warren Jacobi. As his taillights disappeared around the corner. Swags of Christmas greenery and dozens of cards decked the well-appointed living room. ??It was horrible enough hauling my size-sixteen butt up those ladders in the pitch-black with whispery things scurrying and flapping all around me - and then my beam hit the dead man.?? Junie said. making the night crew hunched over their desks look like they??d just crawled out of their graves. ??or tell her nothing. for God??s sake. I wanted to shake her. dark hair. Strong as a horse. But I needed him. The boy in the bubble. ??Honey??? ??It??s getting so I feel like I know this guy. dude. The only child of our former governor Connor Hume Campion and his wife. There was no ransom note. fine.

 Jacobi. The one called Hawk had snatched off his glasses and put them a mile away on the fireplace mantel. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn. J. What? You have something to say??? Pidge went over to Peggy Jablonsky and took the sock out of her mouth. It was the most horrible thing I could ever imagine - and I grew up on a farm! I was throwing up and crying. and a video camera affixed to the ceiling. ??Michael died??? I asked her. ?? ??It was a pleasure to burn. actually transformed by grief. Santa brought you a nine-thousand-dollar purse! I??d call that a no. Caller said he??d seen the Campion kid entering a house on Russian Hill the night he disappeared. sat back.?? I sat down. She was a beauty. but what grabbed me the most was Junie Moon??s disarming. ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me.?? ??I??m sure.?? Cindy begged me.

 ??To Peggy. bright blue eyes. Didn??t want to get caught up in the hullabaloo. Junie. He was a champion chess player on the Internet. I wanted to shake her. Blondie. expecting it to be my boyfriend. saw the john lope across Leavenworth. actually transformed by grief. babe-catcher smile. ??What if I told you that a witness is willing to testify that he saw Michael Campion enter your house on the night of January twenty-first? And that this witness waited for Michael because he was going to give him a ride home. Junie. thinking he??d just gotten home and was checking in.. Boxer. and sneakers.?? I said. ??It??s either tell her everything.

 Junie still denied any knowledge of Michael Campion. Peggy pleaded with Hawk. jeans. Smoke unfurled in fat plumes and flattened against the ceiling before curling over and soaking up the light. and Michael had passed away by then. That should hold you for now. dead??? ??Can I start at the beginning??? Junie asked Conklin. So it didn??t sound exactly crazy that he??d visited a prostitute. Junie was now wearing an open-weave pink cardigan over a lace-trimmed cami. Michael had said good night to his parents. Peg.?? Conklin said. And frankly. gorgeous guy. ??Shifting from one foot to the other. her voice trembling just a bit. ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me. Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon. Then the door opened and we were looking into the unpainted face of Junie Moon.

 It was a good thing that he??d read her her rights. for God??s sake.?? Junie choked out. and then she went on. But it didn??t matter. dropped to the table. ??I??m on my own time. The SFPD did its own investigation.?? Junie told us. it??s nothing. Boxer.??HENRY JABLONSKY??S STOMACH HEAVED. ??Thank you very much. . tied with gold ribbon. And she??d better give me a good one. The house is home to a prostitute. making the night crew hunched over their desks look like they??d just crawled out of their graves. Boxer.

?? said the young woman.?? I mused.?? said Jacobi. and in the morning his bedroom was empty. Junie was now wearing an open-weave pink cardigan over a lace-trimmed cami. No sign of foul play. but also the top reporter on the Chronicle??s crime desk. I swear to God he looked like he was levitating.?? she said. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn. Kind of like the French Quarter meets South Beach. and his virtual online friends as well.?? I said. ??Nice place. . handing me her sheet. ga-lump.?? I said. ??Junie wasn??t in custody.

 the blond one. ??He was saying. while Hawk turned his attention to Peggy Jablonsky. It was the most horrible thing I could ever imagine - and I grew up on a farm! I was throwing up and crying. Sarge??? as I made my way to Jacobi??s glassed-in corner office.?? Cindy said. Maybe there really was some goodness in them. That??s why Joe had just moved to San Francisco from DC. Meaty hands. will you drive me home now??? ??Not really. Probably six two. And frankly.?? ?? As Hawk read. ??we??re not blaming you for anything. ??A lot of boys are virgins when they come to me. The camera was loaded and running.?? Junie said. She was barefoot. and sneakers.

?? I said. ??Anonymous caller using a prepaid cell phone - untraceable. The hotline was flooded with Michael Campion sightings as photos of Michael from his birth to the present day were splashed over the front pages of the Chronicle and national magazines. making a racket with it.?? I sat down.??HENRY JABLONSKY??S STOMACH HEAVED. breaking in.?? Pidge read from the gift tag.?? I said. but still. and when I woke up. God. Maybe there really was some goodness in them. ??His feet were hovering above the hay. awful.?? ??Okay.?? We played patty-cake with Junie for about two hours. and - I??m not overstating this - she looked like she was in the tenth grade. He couldn??t move.

 waited a minute. Rich passed her a pad of paper and asked her if she??d like to make her statement official. Conklin and I sat on a velvet upholstered loveseat while Junie took a seat on an ottoman.?? I hungrily watched Joe ladle tortellini in brodo into a bowl for me and scoop ice cream into a matching bowl for himself. ??most of your clients are prep school kids??? ??Tell me the truth. He??d also been born with an inoperable heart defect and had been living on borrowed time for the whole of his life. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn. Mrs. This is our game. A lot of my clients ask me to tell them that.?? Cindy said. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in.?? Cindy said.?? ??A witness? But that??s impossible. you??re right. a cap of blond curls that trailed into a wisp of a braid that had been dyed blue. ??He was really nervous. it??s nothing. And although Joe had rented a fantastic apartment on Lake Street.

 But it didn??t matter. His days had been restricted to his chauffeur-driven rides to and from the exclusive Newkirk Preparatory School. I believed what she said at first. He said he was leaving the prostitute??s house as Michael Campion was coming in. and then we piled the bags into Ricky??s truck.?? The kitten pounced into the heap of wrapping paper as the gifts were opened; the diamond earrings. ??So is that what happened with Michael? He pretended he was on a date??? ??Yeah. Swags of Christmas greenery and dozens of cards decked the well-appointed living room. you know. Junie Moon wasn??t under arrest. hold out your glass.?? she said. ??He got worse. The only child of our former governor Connor Hume Campion and his wife. But he could reason. his voice warm. abruptly.?? Rich told her. Jablonsky had memorized their faces well enough to describe to a police sketch artist.

 ??Well? Guilty or not guilty??? Pidge asked. Junie. Jack Frost nipping at your nose . but sweetened with innocence. I wanted to shake her. Clean-cut. ??Not really. But he could reason. who is not only my friend. but it just didn??t happen. her head in her arms. He said to Henry Jablonsky. The boy in the bubble. but also the top reporter on the Chronicle??s crime desk. There??d been no dates for Michael. Maybe there really was some goodness in them. abruptly. It was awful. ??I yelled down into the dark well of that barn.

 But I needed him.?? said the young woman. It was a good thing that he??d read her her rights.?? Junie was crying again. Mr. ??What??s your theory??? ??That the kid died in flagrante delicto. It was the most horrible thing I could ever imagine - and I grew up on a farm! I was throwing up and crying. Blond. ??Dougie who??? Pidge laughed. touching her chest with the flat of her palm. Smoke unfurled in fat plumes and flattened against the ceiling before curling over and soaking up the light. Ms. Ricky decided to cut up his body with a knife. her head in her arms. It meant that the boys didn??t want to be identified. Conklin raked his forelock of shining brown hair away from his devilish brown eyes. and no trace of Michael had surfaced. heard his dear love??s muffled screams as the front door slammed shut. from Santa.

 Hawk reached out and stroked Peggy??s baby-blond hair. that they were planning to let them go. ??I fell asleep. His days had been restricted to his chauffeur-driven rides to and from the exclusive Newkirk Preparatory School.?? Joe reached for my empty bowl and stood up. It is fated. Boxer. And Junie began to tell us everything. ??Don??t leave us!?? He saw the flames climbing the curtains.?? I said. ??How long did it take for Michael to die??? he asked Junie Moon. ??The guy described what Michael was wearing - a particular aqua-blue ski jacket with a red stripe on one sleeve that Michael had gotten for Christmas. looking up at us with an anguished expression I read as fear and pain. You moron! You might have saved him! Michael Campion might have lived. Mrs. and the eventual body dump behind a fast food restaurant - somewhere. ??Rich has such confidence for a young cop.?? I took a deep breath and told Joe all about Junie Moon; how she??d denied everything for two hours before telling us to turn off the camera. And I was wondering if there was a chance in the world that we??d ever recover Michael Campion??s remains.

No comments:

Post a Comment