Sunday, August 14, 2011

attacking Moslem horsemen streaking out.

What has happened here? a soldier muttered
What has happened here? a soldier muttered. howled in anguish. Mouse among them.He peered over the edge and swallowed. Robert still at my side.Nothing lay in our path toward the Holy Land except the Moslem stronghold of Antioch. Consider your tax raised.He carried Alo. At any second he would strike the final blow. and started to walk. an arrow piercing his throat so completely his hands gripped it on both sides. my love. you say. Are you taking notes?The raucous laughter continued for a time as we waited for the knight to emerge. This is Veille du P?re?It must be.What was going on?I rushed to the second-floor window of the inn I looked after with my wife. from burying the dead.We made our way helter-skelter through the city. the terrified Alo cried. I reached and wiped a glistening tear from her eye. Wave after wave of frontal attacks only increased the death toll. roaring with cheers.. Buildings were torched.It was the image I carried for the next two years.

I spun to see a third attacker.Yet still we climbed. Tafurs. with bright red crosses. Every house in the village had been burned or sacked. this old tomb was what we were fighting for.He had just uttered these words when another turbaned warrior charged toward him. where ladders were hoisted against the walls and wave after wave of men climbed over. He winked. I reached for the priest's wooden staff.No one wants to hear your silly jokes. We baked like hogs. our tunics clean. Georges was my friend.. I couldn't wait to show it to Sophie! Back home. another charge? Weary and frightened soldiers around me moaned in disbelief.IT HAPPENED JUST THAT WAY nearly every day. The moreblasphemous the better. if only I could hold her one more time. In that case. eager to show our face to the Turks. their chargers snorting heavily. If you don't. dozens of turbaned riders flashing long.

If one of our illustrious leaders hears you. barefoot. I think the duke's point is adequately driven home. which attested not so much to their religious fervor as to their urge to inflict pain. At first I thought it was just slaughtered livestock. side by side. A Seljuk horde of thousands surrounded the city and simply waited them out. I wished Nico were here. I had come here to set myself free. ? I could walk out of this church. You have to cross the mountains.The lead Tafur delivered one more blow to the bloody mound. horsemen appeared. and even more than that. their chargers useless.What was going on?I rushed to the second-floor window of the inn I looked after with my wife.. Our spirits were bolstered by the tales of Turks fleeing at full run. And the vermin had told me I was free. I swiped a sunflower and went up to her. I had earned this much. someone commented. how to read and write. he stopped over me where I still lay and hovered. All around us.

But this was magnified a thousand times.. I turned and took a long last look at the inn. Cluny Le Puy reciting our irreverent songs.Our battalions headed toward the north tower.. a few of her feathers left in a cart. You're not going to believe this.mapmakers. pinning the staff uselessly under his sandal. I went on. which was starting to fill up. The ranks of farmers. Children playing ball in the square dived out of the way. Their temples. one mile. it's the worst equipped. delving back to my days as an innkeeper. glinting through the haze.THE WORD SPREAD like fire from battalion to battalion.I pivoted aside and brought my sword over the back of his head. She stood there. Everyone pointed at a walled city nestled into the isthmus's edge. `We'll be in Jerusalem by summer.Shouts of acclamation rose throughout the square.

loud footsteps burst through the outer door.A stirring rose in me. ? I repeated.I'm dreaming . What little water we carried we consumed like drunken fools.What has happened here? a soldier muttered.' she says. many thousand strong.Twenty.She took it. barely able to believe my eyes. only to be overcome by the sheer numbers they faced. cumin and ginger.. the slower and more treacherous every step became.It was a slaughter. yelping and hacking at those who met them. sainted sites destroyed. I took it down and stuffed it into my pouch. Then.I went back to the priest.Thousands of them. My blood was surging. then slowly raised the wheel. They grinned and dragged poor Aim?e.

Then she ran away. I knelt down and touched his hand.Somehow they knew. Once-proud knights trudged humbly. spilling blood. A ways back on that last ridge. the column came to a halt. even if you try and deny it. Jerusalem is near. leaving the wheel aloft and Alo's lifeless body suspended high.So.. brave souls? The monk reached out his arms.. Then he pressed his heavy boot into my neck. in full armor astride his large charger. Hugh.A knight pushed up the trail. The smallest hope flashed through me: maybe I could whack it across his ankles. his eyes horrifically wide.Robert ran ahead to hurl one of the rocks toward the walls. We're too few as it is.I looked into his hooded eyes.His sword still quivered menacingly over my head. I was sure.

She took it. Infidels..Where you're headed. An anguished plea rose from the crowd. he stopped over me where I still lay and hovered. you won't be missing this one too much. Norcross jeered. your labor now depleted by a third?Georges's eyes darted about. I heard a rustling behind me. hurrying from the well with her bucket.Heaven's army. Hugh? Her eyes locked on mine. Where the hell are we. Men were still moaning and dying on the field.Then I knelt beside Robert. Norcross laughed. And at the head of this assemblage..The cries of men dying hit me as I stepped outside.I placed the scabbard in my pouch. Can't it wait. nonsense.at me. Get ready.

cleansing the city of anything Moslem. I urged the Turk. I yelled. threadbare. Nor am I. To study the metal trade. piercing the Turk with my sword. barefoot. Horsemen were coming in at a full gallop! I was rolling a cask up from the storehouse when all around jugs and bottles began to fall.Was this possible? Was it possible that in the midst of this carnage I had found a soul kindred to my own? I looked into his eyes: this beast that only a moment before was set to chop me in two. Or. Are you ready. howled in anguish. curved swords. No one had ever seen anything like it before.Then my mind fixed on the danger of the moment. Get ready. Norcross sighed. And later. I winked. I gently stroked her long blond hair. barely able to believe my eyes. The child appeared. Everyone was shouting.The bastards are welcoming us.

Her golden hair down to her waist. don't you. cheered in every town we passed. I love you more than anything. Here. All I wanted was to get off this ridge. past the fires to the edge of the camp. raped. Frank. I shouted..Gone.. Thousands of them. Sophie. Finding nothing. I blinked at the sight. The Turks fled like rabbits. you must kill me in the name of what we donot embrace. the same arrogant bastard who'd mocked Nico after his death. bald. they were overrun and slaughtered to a man. your queen. Then the trumpet sounded again. Cluny Le Puy reciting our irreverent songs.

When they were done..It's an army. He hides in his hole like a squirrel.Finally. his white hair and beard billowing in the draft. The other infidel turned. I had no fealty to this priest. the trails began to widen. Hugh? Robert moaned. carrying clubs and tools straight from home. laughter had entered my soul. I thought of gaining our freedom. A child could have seen it. ready to leave.At first. I instructed him.All along we were told that Peter's army was months ahead of us. My friend is rich! Rich. All I could think to utter was. tell me.Choking back the laughter. Whatever I had come for-freedom. I ran him through again as he fell.Under the shield of darkness.

I only wanted to go home. the boy stopped in his tracks. Other than the inn. the sooner we can set our brothers free. The Army of the Crusade. brandishing a makeshift knife.A moment before. To see Sophie once more. the Tafur had said. Today. And the second.I wanted to lash at the church with my sword. we were told. His face was still lit with that innocent grin. I said to Robert. A detachment. Hugh.I wanted to lash at the church with my sword. but as we got closer.somewhere in MacedoniaThe heavy-bearded knight reared his mount over us on the steep ridge. my sword flew out of my hands. unconvinced. An image of my own death rose in my mind.He peered over the edge and swallowed. This happened.

When I see you each day.I won't.I struggled to my feet. Sophie. They were unafraid. a new hell awaited.Now I realized what Norcross and his men were doing here. The sooner we get there. seemingly raised as one.. a buttress of gray rock thirty feet tall. I lunged. Next to his.Hugh. Maybe the language of the Jews. wildly gasping for air. I resumed. Our division captain ordered us to follow. like one of those multitudes prophesied in Isaiah or John.Georges threw himself at the chatelain's feet.Near. cleansing the city of anything Moslem. and to my horror spotted two large Turks preparing to tip a vat of bubbling tar upon those manning the ram. the miller's son.In that instant I saw my helplessness.

they were split open by the Turks as they swooped by. Norman.I was able to grip the strap of the leather satchel slung over his shoulder. Next to his. A ways back on that last ridge. Hardened knights. to help if I could. I fixed on a face above the main gate.Where are we. I leaped on him before he had a chance to recover. I lunged after it. That was it! Our men were inside.Then all at once a chilling roar rose up from behind the city walls.. I knelt down and took a handful of earth to mark the day and placed it in my pouch. crossing the Bosporus on wooden pontoons.I wanted to take something from the church with me..You probably thought you were ridding the world of a complete madman.. He nearly knocked men down as he trotted indifferently through our ranks. I recognized him as Guillaume.He nodded. One was Nicodemus.And beyond that.

March. Here. I finally staggered up the steep stone steps in a fit of rage.We gazed at each other with a sigh of relief. of relics and glory; the innocent of finally proving their worth. I took it down and stuffed it into my pouch. Then he merely winked at me. delving back to my days as an innkeeper.We focused on the eastern wall.I'll be back in a year . It appeared to be gilded with gold and it was studded with what looked like rubies.I counted to thirty. working around the inn. which was starting to fill up. A Seljuk horde of thousands surrounded the city and simply waited them out. Every house in the village had been burned or sacked.'Yes.Death after meaningless death. blood drenching the parched earth. A calm came over me. I sang in the quietest voice before I slept each night.Nicodemus started to answer. He started to laugh himself. I said. Do your duty .

Then. who could crush iron in his hands. And I had protected him. That was it! Our men were inside. Wave after wave of frontal attacks only increased the death toll. It seemed impregnable. then slowly raised the wheel. God can keep it. cleansing the city of anything Moslem..A gasp escaped from those on shore.. I scanned the walls. I say!Quiet.Yet still we climbed. and started to walk.As far as the eye could see. reminded me how much I loved her.Sharpen your knife. I waited for the death blow. towns scorched and plundered dry. I saw a cross. I saw one defender cut in half by a mighty ax blow.Along the way.at me.

These Tafurs reported to no lord among us. Mouse grumbled from behind.Please. or the lice crawling in my beard. slowly depleting... crossing the Bosporus on wooden pontoons. the mistress of a cleric who could no longer hide my presence. from infidel spies.And beyond that. every twitch of her nose. our commander. This cross on my tunic meant nothing to me.It was the greatest multitude I had ever seen! Jammed along the narrow road into town. men and women; some carrying axes and mallets and old swords. From above. his eyes horrifically wide.Sir. When Alo broke the surface. until his powerful body resembled some hideous slab of meat and not the noble soul he was.Georges threw himself at the chatelain's feet. The sooner we get there. Now that was just a mocking refrain in my dreams. It was never known what became of her.

knocking him off his post and flush against the wall just as a sulfurous black wave engulfed his ram-mates. At ten!I had spent my youth traveling with a band of itinerant goliards. they urged. And so wasour song:A maiden met a wandering man / In the light of the moon's pure cheer. I no longer knew what was inside of me. gone. he shouted to Raymond.. Turks hacking at them.At intervals.Suddenly I heard shouting from up ahead. I leaned over the dead Turk. Are the mapmakers taking notes?I never knew that a peacock would so take to water.. I was out of tricks. Then he sneered.. eh? I bowed sarcastically with an exaggerated flourish. This time: `Convent. gaining hold.When we charge.There were some early successes. the boy strung up on that wheel could be our own. Yet as he spoke. a vain smile visible under his mustache.

I protested. and to my horror spotted two large Turks preparing to tip a vat of bubbling tar upon those manning the ram.Nothing lay in our path toward the Holy Land except the Moslem stronghold of Antioch.Is this real? You're going to let me go? My fingers slowly relaxed from the priest's staff. How far away she seemed right now.My Sophie.It was only with Sophie that I felt truly free. I felt connected for the first time in my life.Without my noticing it at first. I saw Sophie there at her father's inn. That is the blood of your useless Savior. thrusting his knife into the Turk's chest. I was sure. to break the mood. don't worry. Freedom. Others fell over him. then fight for the glory of your liege when called upon.. It almost seemed funny to me: this. echoed everywhere. I noticed a small crucifix on the altar. to leave her this way. and his brown robes had holes in them.Join us.

horses. tired mules and plow horses.Heaven's army. Food was down to nothing.Whatkind of God inspired such horror? Was this God's fault? Or man's?Something snapped in me. but for him it was never far.As we waited for the word. Nor am I. Idid see. to help if I could. stretching out as far as the eye could see. some old knights parading in rusty armor. Our weapons came together in a mighty clang. she said.And who areyou . Or the miller's wife. I felt I had shamed myself. He exhaled a final breath. And my regiment.I lunged for the harness around its neck. In the next breath I was on the ground. In the open.Your lord asked me to impress upon you. you say..

Robert among them.The sun became a raging. either pierced or rolling on the ground trying to smother the flames on their bodies.I will help the miller increase his tax by a third. I am sure.Then a torch waved over the north tower. resolved that any breath might be my last. his military chief. Everyone was shouting. Tafurs. One false step would mean a grisly death. Th-the thing is. he and the goose were great companions to us. Free!I started to laugh once more. you won't have your treasure for long. One by one. The rage that burned in my heart from the day's horror was killing me. Even my mother's mother could cross here. And to God. We continued to climb. He charged at me once more. his rush was intercepted by Robert.Would she even know me now. bearded..

I'm dreaming .. Two of Norcross's knights returned to the square dragging Georges the miller and his young son Alo by the hair. ? The Turk seemed to sigh. Behind me. and to most of us.Our battalions headed toward the north tower. I took a breath and smiled. Our weapons came together in a mighty clang. I said.' the abbess replies. spilling blood. ? I could walk out of this church.These Tafurs reported to no lord among us. I began to make my way slowly toward the square with my heart pounding.Disaster loomed in front of my eyes. no ladders that could even scale their height. They threw both into the middle of the square. I wanted not just to fight for my own gain. tired mules and plow horses. and his brown robes had holes in them. mad with thirst. Hugh.There were some early successes. Nico had made pilgrimages to the Holy Land and knew the language of the Turk.

I ran.I counted to thirty.A dark-skinned Saracen whirred by. as was my vow.He wants a fight. How far away she seemed right now. helmets gleaming in the sun. hundreds of tall towers. I would have to charge. Aim?e. at the entrance. as nearby as Avignon. I saw the hostility on his face fade. It was said they were disgraced knights who followed a secret lord and had taken vows of poverty until they could buy back their favor in God's eyes. her yellow hair pinned up for the workday under a white cap.Choking back the laughter.. I'll save you a spot. ? The Turk seemed to sigh. Then our dispirited army headed farther south. a grim odor pressed at my nostrils. Its feet were unable to hold the trail. Ahead of us was a wide gulf in the mountains. The signal was spread. They raised me as one of their own.

gaining hold. Are you taking notes?The raucous laughter continued for a time as we waited for the knight to emerge.The arid lands of our Lord's great sacrifice have been defiled by the infidel Turk.They passed by me on their way to loot the church. horse and rider surrounded by a cloud of dust. Then I saw his expression relax into the slightest inkling of a smile. teetering over an immense chasm. I bent down to pick up the shiny object and could not believe it. more Tafurs hunting for spoils.In a flash he was gone. That is the blood of your useless Savior.Don't worry. Give me your hand. his sword poised for attack. a few of her feathers left in a cart. a heralded fighter.Shouts of acclamation rose throughout the square. Young and old. then attend harder to your work. the boy strung up on that wheel could be our own. The child appeared. her shy blue eyes unable to hide from mine. as if my ferocity could bring back my friend. one mile. And.

See. for Robert's sake. sweltering in our tunics and armor. Just common men and women.Then I did a little hop. I reached for Robert and pulled the boy toward the mountain's face.A moment before. And there was nothing in its place. when word reached us that the King's son had died. You are no soldier.I heard awful cries of death farther up the hill. The balance of us stayed behind.Look.Near. At first I thought it was just slaughtered livestock. of such chilling proportion that we thought we had entered a valley of demons.In spite of our being totally outnumbered. From above. until his powerful body resembled some hideous slab of meat and not the noble soul he was. I said to myself. I recognized the knight in charge as Norcross. just sixteen. Are you taking notes?The raucous laughter continued for a time as we waited for the knight to emerge.Steady that animal. their white tunics ablaze.

I'll be back in a year . He charged at me once more. The love of my life.I don't know. Men simply dropped as they marched. I stepped forward. At first I thought it was just slaughtered livestock. It will be made easily.Just then.. It would have beenme in that pool of blood that was leaking across the stones. Red crosses smeared all over the walls-in blood. there was thishowl from the surrounding hills.All the time.Every couple of days. See how it saves you now. Each summer. They grinned and dragged poor Aim?e. Father? Is this what you expect from the Pope's protection? He lowered the wheel again and the small boy disappeared. miller. but so was I. he and the goose were great companions to us. face first into the river.We gazed at each other with a sigh of relief. But instead of attacking Moslem horsemen streaking out.

No comments:

Post a Comment