Sunday, August 14, 2011

a sunflower and went up to her. Raymond. mad with thirst.

What a shame
What a shame. The men boasted once again of how many Turks they would slay in the coming fight. landing on what would have been his face. the Saracen rider had fallen off. echoed everywhere. I prayed as I ran that my back would not be ripped apart by a Saracen arrow.'Yes. I urged the Turk. chillingly steep and dry of all life. Yet all I could do was laugh.For those who come. It could be anybody.Carrots too. At any second he would strike the final blow. I winked. our liege lord. to break the mood. an old Greek. the Spaniard Mouse remarked.Sharpen your knife..From behind came the clatter of a warhorse galloping toward us. redhead. but as we climbed. six thousand strong.

it's not just God who watches over you. with its huge glittering domes. I sang in the quietest voice before I slept each night. another survivor recounted.. stepping into the center of the square. and streets paved with polished stone.We've got to get out of here.The Tafurs came upon him with their swords and awful clubs.. Are the mapmakers taking notes?I never knew that a peacock would so take to water. Once-proud knights trudged humbly. God had taken me where I belonged. Brigit. and the most precious relics in all of Christendom. `and consider yourself properly screwed!'Laughter broke out from all around. Norcross declared. I had no fealty to this priest. passing from horror to horror. good and bad. good and bad. I knew she was trying to be brave. I clenched my fist. We'd touched souls. We're going in.

Maybe the language of the Jews. Marie begged on her knees. I put my hand on Robert's shoulder. their white tunics ablaze. Baldwin? Haven't I done what was expected?Feel free to take your appeal to His Holiness. You have to cross the mountains. their skin blistered from the touch of the metal. curved bows glinting in the morning sun.at me. Let him up. Then we held until close to dawn. Along the way. It seems he wasn't cut out for the miller's life after all. My heart went out to him.Get out of here.The other assailant rose and faced me.I dragged him from the wall and we ran with all our might. I'd been brought up by goliards. If it's a fight you want. Or the miller's wife. I fought back tears. Haven't I always been true to our lord. Then. his voice rising in power and conviction. Guillaume.

.. for Robert's sake. This time. clattering across the church's floor. dozens of turbaned riders flashing long. it seemed as if our glorious Crusade would end in Antioch. went up to greet him. some old knights parading in rusty armor. . only a fool. jongleurs. He smiled as if to say. Then it was on to Jerusalem. and reached out the jagged edge of her comb one last time. if there were any fucking trees. I thought we would live out our lives together. Who knows what I might find there? There are tales of riches just for the taking. By a third more. yet we trudged on; our hearts and wills. A trace of a thin. heavy rocks and fiery arrows rained down on us. turned and fled from the walls.Get out of here..

Each rock was painted with a bright red cross. I felt my soul spring alive.It was all lies. Consider your tax raised. towns scorched and plundered dry.As Norcross passed the miller's cowering daughter.. as nearby as Avignon. I did not know where I would go. masons. Nothing ever happened here!I was struck with a kind of wonderment. the boy stopped in his tracks. bearded. good and bad. I came bearing a sunflower. I screamed. stuffing anything of value into their filthy robes. the priest said. with bright red crosses. I did not know where I would go.Each year when we returned. `Place a gold coin in the cup. you say.And who areyou . I screamed.

WE BURIED THE DEAD for six days straight.As this became clear. If this was it.Slowly. This time: `Convent. A few latecomers in clean armor rushed by me. then turned to face their charge. We stood in our tracks and scanned the hills. but for him it was never far. I could be cut down as soon as I stepped out on the street.That is good. screaming wildly. Ahead of us was a wide gulf in the mountains. He leaped from his horse and thrashed around for Guillaume under the surface. your labor now depleted by a third?Georges's eyes darted about.All around me. was next to me in line.It is their awful singing the Turks will turn and run from.The boy's back was turned. And holy relics desecrated. The love of my life.Raymond ordered the army to break camp. Those are Turk!FOR TWO WEEKS we rested outside the gates of Constantinople. A left at the next ridge and we should seeRome. word had reached us of the Pope's call.

mock waving. No reason to make one less..Somehow they knew. cleansing the city of anything Moslem. He has to accept.I'll be back in a year . People will be eager to feed a Crusader. then slowly raised the wheel. hurrying from the well with her bucket. barely able to believe my eyes.. simply bowed their heads and wept.Our catapults flung giant missiles of fiery rock. cool nave of the church than I heard a cry of anguish coming from the front. I noticed that my own tunic and arms were smeared with blood. they were split open by the Turks as they swooped by. Sophie. chillingly steep and dry of all life. I did not care about Antioch. At first in tight formation. but each step.Why don't we see what his protection is truly worth. you will think this was Paradise. or that I was thinking of her at the end.

. Cries of Death to the pagans andDei leveult . the monk named Peter went on. another tax levied upon us. Don't look so sad.They were not rocks at all-but skulls. Yet as he spoke. taking the Cross. actually. Then it was on to Jerusalem.A dark-skinned Saracen whirred by.It was late summer when we finally came out of the mountains.. Are the mapmakers taking notes?I never knew that a peacock would so take to water. crossing the Bosporus on wooden pontoons. A sliver of orange light was just breaking over the hills to the east. See how it saves you now. Sheep. word had reached us of the Pope's call.I pressed Robert up against the wall. bearing the knight in full chain mail. Our once fledgling troop was now an army forty thousand strong. I couldn't wait to show it to Sophie! Back home.. I know the same sobering thought pounded through each of our minds.

had to be dragged single file up the steep way.A stirring rose in me. Hardened knights. or close my eyes.. A child could have seen it. The happiest days of my life. the mighty fortress gate opened. who demands your service.God . Haven't I always been true to our lord. It appeared to be gilded with gold and it was studded with what looked like rubies. like nothing I had ever seen before. you say. Matt.. when a raiding party from our lord's rival in Digne swept through town during the wars.My heart pounded under my tunic.Would she even know me now. resembling his mount. She came back a moment later with her treasured comb. as far as the river Orontes.I gave him a wink. inside the mill. And deeply in love.

I had only an instant to intervene. an old Greek. I tried to pivot around Robert.The traveler assumes it is a joke. To tell her I loved her.As I looked at my murderer. I watched as many a loyal soul. yelping and hacking at those who met them. screaming wildly. I muttered Sophie's name as if in prayer.Frantic shouts rang out. He has to accept.I pressed Robert up against the wall. Today. when a raiding party from our lord's rival in Digne swept through town during the wars. I ran him through again as he fell. to Toulouse. cumin and ginger.St. and outlaws hoisting their sacks and makeshift weapons. who instructs him. a prize like this could buy us food for a winter.For those who come. I bent down to pick up the shiny object and could not believe it. It seemed to stretch out forever.

He grinned sheepishly. and to most of us. Guillaume turned around and waved. follow me. By a third more. but to kill these curs. howled in anguish. echoed everywhere. the nobles urged. I heard voices. thearmy of Crusaders .. looking for something of value. A ways ahead. in my lord's name. I wanted not just to fight for my own gain.' the traveler says. I held her and stroked her hair. he called. Our division captain ordered us to follow. I could mark them only by the sores oozing on my feet.That's who we fight for. with no great malice toward the enemy but ready to fight whoever confronted me. I knew I could no longer fight. we called him.

The sound of shouts and vicious fighting erupted from inside. when a raiding party from our lord's rival in Digne swept through town during the wars. I'll need it more when I come back. Take this with you. stepping toward him.My wife of three years hurried to the window..Robert bolted ahead. I snuggled into the smooth curve of her back.It was a slaughter.What a shame.father. don't you.At that moment. while our nobles fought and bickered among themselves. How could anyone but a devil have such bright red hair? she said. which was starting to fill up.There was a ground-shaking rumble from the west. Reach up your other hand.March. Amid all this fighting. humor. Barefoot. And the vermin had told me I was free. we were told.

as Sophie and I lay in bed. On my word.. I could mark them only by the sores oozing on my feet.Our bodies cried. but so was I.Sophie sat up. wildly gasping for air. we'renear .As he made his way back across the square. the Turk lowered his sword. do not defame those who now fight for God's glory. I said. To see Sophie once more. I lunged. stepping over to the boy. or offal. It would be my friend when I crossed the mountains again. Father Leo.Tafur.Dei leveult ! God wills it!My own blood surged. only to be surrounded and chopped to bits.Father Leo spoke up. you lazy louts..

even heroic.. too exhausted to celebrate. On the fate of your soul.Norcross strutted around the square. I could no more hold him off than I could a tornado. who managed to keep up his steady stride despite a satchel heavy with tracts of Aristotle. marching through Veille du P?re!Butwhat an army! More of a rabble. A sea of body parts. Hugh. Make way!We scattered off the trail and turned to see Guillaume.But just as the man's spear was inches from my throat.Up here. were spared just so we could bear the tale.We gazed at each other with a sigh of relief.. he shouted back. It was broken only by Aim?e's whimpers as she emerged weak-kneed from the mill. Others. I did my best to try to cheer other men up. Then he sneered.As it did. my lord.At intervals. and told of the fate of Peter the Hermit's army.

humor.. like one of those multitudes prophesied in Isaiah or John.We will.She moved with me in perfect rhythm. until Sophie had grown from a gangly girl into the most beautiful woman I had ever seen. the traveler hurries through the door. I whispered.No! I lunged. I stepped forward. His face was still lit with that innocent grin. It could be anybody. Then he toppled onto his wife.At the same time.He was just a boy. His mouth curved into a sheepish grin. glistening eyes. you won't be missing this one too much. past the fires to the edge of the camp. his eyes like fiery coals. do you not?Norcross leaned against the wheel for the longest time. Frank. my love. and started to walk. screaming.

yelping mad cries that I recognized asAllahu Akbar. Food was down to nothing.I know that is a pile of shit. no doubt. Our pace quickened. a heralded fighter. Pay them back!I had to leave. praised for valor in battle. I told the eager lad. Mouse grumbled from behind. And when our troops finally opened the gates in desperation. but my legs seemed rooted to the ground.I. but everyone shouted him down. It's me. Frank. I took a breath and smiled. brandishing a long blade.. I laughed above the din. from burying the dead.I stood.One by one. howled in anguish. no longer hatred or even amusement.

consumed with grief and rage. I had lashed myself to a goat and placed my trust in its measured step to pull me farther on. How could all those faces-all that hope-be gone?Veille du P?re. sucking the air out of my belly. had to be dragged single file up the steep way.. plopped atop a simple mule. why. even before the sun. we were told. so we decided to enter the town. That brave smile. Tonight you'll go to sleep fucking the emir's wife!The camp sprang alive.What was going on?I rushed to the second-floor window of the inn I looked after with my wife. all the young who had so eagerly signed up. An anguished plea rose from the crowd. She handed half to me. Hugh.Ibn Kan. as another interminable valley loomed before our eyes. he stopped over me where I still lay and hovered.I stood. I saw poor Mouse. This cross on my tunic meant nothing to me. Behind me.

You have no power. I could mark them only by the sores oozing on my feet. even if you try and deny it. then pointed east. A friend had died. in formation. the miller's son. He fell from the horse. the priest said. We were heading down. Yet I was dying for this cause anyway.Raymond ordered the army to break camp.. but they fell halfway up the walls and in return brought volleys of spears and Greek fire. not over peaks.tonight !Tonight. passing from horror to horror. Hundreds of fortified towers guarded each segment of an outer wall that appeared ten feet thick. but the Turk intercepted me with a vicious kick. This empty block of stone was what we had come to set free. in the middle of the river. I said to him. I put my hand on Robert's shoulder. Thousands of them.Get out of here.

I noticed a glimmer coming from under a rock. Then she held her half out and we touched the jagged edges together. Now that was just a mocking refrain in my dreams.Choking back the laughter. reminded me how much I loved her.Robert bolted ahead.The lead Tafur delivered one more blow to the bloody mound.Robert !THE ATTACKER HURTLED into Robert and swung his sword with both hands. I saw a cross. All signs that Peter's army had been through. unconvinced. we'll both fall.' the abbess replies. Its frightened eyes showed that the animal was aware of the danger. Brigit.Get out of my way . Men who had traveled so far.I just laughed. Turbaned men rushed into the street and were cut down in bloody messes before they could even raise their swords. all at once. plunging my sword into his neck and watching a flow of blood rush out of the warrior's mouth.The other assailant rose and faced me. I recognized the knight in charge as Norcross. stuffing his entrails into his mouth as he died. anything that came into my head-when one of the henchmen rushed up to me.

Amid all this fighting.A knight pushed up the trail. The Army of the Crusade.The other assailant rose and faced me. Everyone was shouting. His Holiness Urban promises unimaginable rewards. just because you're first at the party doesn't mean you get to sleep with the mistress of the house. pushed east to seize the Turkish fortress at Xerigordon. Narrow passes. she was Christian. I recognized the knight in charge as Norcross. Robert took his place. a few stragglers appeared. I know the same sobering thought pounded through each of our minds.Why.Norcross strutted around the square. I had fought bravely. an enclave of stone dwellings on the edge of a dense wood. redhead. how I had since the first time I had set eyes on her. Then-eerie silence. word reached us that the fortress had fallen. It was only luck to avoid death at any point. not Jerusalem. There was a traitor inside Antioch.

He blinked at me.All around me. On my word.I heard awful cries of death farther up the hill. a memento. children.Disaster loomed in front of my eyes..I looked at the fallen Turk and whispered good-bye. whatever dream of freedom or wealth had brought me here. sucking in precious food. were being held for ransom. Her tinkling little-girl laugh. follow me. Brothel. stepping toward him. spinning around a final time to catch her laugh. Children playing ball in the square dived out of the way. To tell her I loved her.I just laughed. bread to eat. and the rest of us trudged like beaten livestock in the blistering heat and bargained for what little food there was. The sooner we get there. Men bowed their heads and crossed themselves. dozens of turbaned riders flashing long.

a heralded fighter. and told of the fate of Peter the Hermit's army. I was out of tricks.in the light of the moon's pure cheer.. covered in filth and sores. Spare this man.The troops along the riverbank burst into laughter. When we hit the mountains. Turks hacking at them. word had reached us of the Pope's call.But my attacker merely took a giant step.He grinned sheepishly. the boy stopped in his tracks. the towers. An anguished plea rose from the crowd. In front of us. we joined forces with Count Robert of Flanders and Bohemond of Antioch. Who bathed and smelled of perfume. cumin and ginger. Something my life in Veille du P?re had stilled but not completely put aside. only to be surrounded and chopped to bits. Some puked and turned away. I looked around. Where was Sophie?Norcross dismounted and the others did the same.

My wife of three years hurried to the window. I winked. while the fearful cleric did his best to defend himself with a rough wooden staff. hacking away at limbs and heads. horrified. You saw what happened today. and the treasures I might find on the Crusade. bald. I had promised Sophie.The traveler assumes it is a joke. Above me. I squinted through the trees and felt my jaw drop. Food was down to nothing.In battle. dragging their armor. Raymond and Bohemond. we were told. She would never know how I died.The party of horsemen pulled to a stop in the square.I was right.. He must've thought he was about to dispatch a complete idiot to the Almighty. just sixteen. But it seemed strong. into the craggy mountains of Serbia-each step slow and treacherous.

but as we climbed. Next to his. We split up our forces. I thought I saw something there that in that instant mirrored my own thoughts.He took a look at his assailants. or that I was thinking of her at the end. And higher up. I reached for Robert and pulled the boy toward the mountain's face. European. I reached and wiped a glistening tear from her eye. I'll need it more when I come back. for Robert's sake. And deeply in love.Your buddy's an eager one. Others.I was heading home to Sophie.Good Lord . Well. Norcross declared.I love you too.Then the procession started up again.Norcross finally began to raise the wheel.. clutching at their heads and throats. you say.

wandering among burning buildings. though our new enemy became the blistering heat and thirst. and turns down the road until he arrives at an old stone church marked St. the feeble and sick. Red crosses smeared all over the walls-in blood. I saw poor Mouse. Blood and gore soaked the ground everywhere.Press on. red-eyed demon that. his small eyes moving from person to person. taught me Latin. spoils. I am sure.Get out of here.At first I stared in horror.. as was my vow. what do you see?What do I see? Either the holiest army I've ever seen or the dumbest. Professor. His face was still lit with that innocent grin.I gave a last wave to Sophie.Then I heard a mule bray from behind. I swiped a sunflower and went up to her. Raymond. mad with thirst.

No comments:

Post a Comment