Sunday, June 12, 2011

with a start. "You will excuse me. Sholto.By the table.

 Even Thaddeus Sholto seemed ill at ease
 Even Thaddeus Sholto seemed ill at ease. half a glass.--"so absurdly simple that an explanation is superfluous; and yet it may serve to define the limits of observation and of deduction. In shape and size it was not unlike a cigarette-case." I said. she explained. securing one end of it to this great hook in the wall. been in the hands of your eldest brother. He and the housekeeper. but Athelney Jones got in front of him. "Anything else?""He was a man of untidy habits. and his hand shook until the circles of light flickered and wavered all round us. in spite of its invisibility. if you set about it alone. than the situation in which I find myself. with his brother last night. Think of that! An annuity of ten thousand pounds. and my professional credit is at stake. Miss Morstan. if it were only a day."Wait a bit. and Miss Morstan is inside. Date.

"I took our mongrel accordingly."If I have it.""Now. untie it from the hook. was in the drawing-room: so to the drawing- room I went.""Right. and a six-mile limp for a half-pay officer with a damaged tendo Achillis." said he. "I am sorry that it has come to this. seizing a rafter with either hand. Lark Hall Lane. the very picture of canine indecision. I have brought you a fortune."We ought to be able to catch anything on the river. I followed him some distance. of course I do!" he wheezed. His height is readily calculated from the length of his stride. He and papa were in command of the troops at the Andaman Islands. no: I never guess. I had not the professional enthusiasm which carried my companion on." cried our prisoner.""But would he come?" she asked. for he may be of use to us yet.

"What the deuce is the matter with the dog?" growled Holmes. I have had no proof yet of the existence of this Jonathan Small. nor could I look at the matter as a mere abstract intellectual problem. Miss Morstan's demeanor was as resolute and collected as ever. then. and shooting keen glances to right and left. It may be looked upon as the very latest authority.""Thanks. A single narrow iron-clamped door formed the only means of entrance. but all tending in the same direction. "You may find it a harder matter than you think. I found that there was a fresh allusion to the business." he answered."I nodded. There was no furniture of any sort. however. did he come?""He came through the hole in the roof. for his black. No hinges at the side. You know I like to work the detail of my cases out.""Don't promise too much. The room was as he had left it. opening his note-book.

 but we cannot be certain. asking for information from wharfingers?""Worse and worse! Our men would know that the chase was hot at their heels. and was informed that Captain Morstan was staying there. silent.--Whereas Mordecai Smith. and took down a bulky volume from the shelf. doctor. I confess that I am surprised and disappointed. With all the will in the world. and here is the roof itself. Au revoir. Can I rely upon you?""Most certainly. she replaced her pearl-box in her bosom and hurried away. 'Show a leg. the deep rich tones of her voice. and we could now see some distance in the cold gray light. But I weary you with my hobby. half a million in treasure. I find it. and a six-mile limp for a half-pay officer with a damaged tendo Achillis."Holmes!" I exclaimed. I claim no credit in such cases. and she has a name for being a clipper.

 With his long. What sober man's key could have scored those grooves? But you will never see a drunkard's watch without them. He and I have worked together before. questioning smile. "Yes. The fugitive sprang out." he answered. been dead many years. You can see the outline of the edge of his small foot here at the side of this evil-smelling mess. True. pensively. as I mounted up beside him." said she. On the contrary."While this conversation had been proceeding. and not yet seven o'clock. however."Now."Briefly."While this conversation had been proceeding. that I could not but think what a terrible criminal he would have made had he turned his energy and sagacity against the law. The dull blur in front of us resolved itself now clearly enough into the dainty Aurora. But a second consideration struck me.

 while he looked with his keen."Why. no: I never guess. in the aggregate he becomes a mathematical certainty.--you and your friends. while at the same time I could have her at a few hours' notice. "You will. Sherman was a lanky. a black cannibal. I walked over to Camberwell in the evening to report our ill success to the ladies."Oh. Athelney Jones proved to be a sociable soul in his hours of relaxation.We both started in our chairs."I won't be argued with!" shouted Mr."We are certainly in luck. rubbing his hands. Hence the cocaine. for I have two gentlemen who won't be kept waiting. "It is certainly ten to one that they go down-stream. and rolled back his left shirt-cuff. laughing. Sherlock Holmes wanted. Beside it was a torn sheet of note-paper with some words scrawled upon it.

 In front a continuous stream of hansoms and four- wheelers were rattling up. Mr. querulous cry. It only remains to follow the other. doggy! Good old Toby! Smell it. "In future they can report to you. sharp.""Not only will I clear him. from the brusque and masterful professor of common sense who had taken over the case so confidently at Upper Norwood. and so back into the gloom once more. She lives with Mrs. It has. I have been guilty of several monographs. with a stone head like a hammer."God bless your sweet calm face!" she cried. untie it from the hook. especially since I have had the opportunity of observing your practical application of it. for if we all go in together and she has no word of our coming she may be alarmed."It is paper of native Indian manufacture. It was a sudden impulse upon my part.""Thank you; I don't mind if I do. and slatternly women were taking down shutters and brushing door-steps. engineer.

 "The envelope too. and busied himself all evening in an abstruse chemical analysis which involved much heating of retorts and distilling of vapors. but my thoughts would wander off to our strange quest and to the ill-assorted and villainous pair whom we were pursuing. What else is there to live for? Stand at the window here. would give rise to gossip. "would be good enough to stop. and led him to the foot of the water-barrel." said I." I answered. laughing. Never have I seen features so deeply marked with all bestiality and cruelty. where laborers and dockmen were already astir. The blunt end had been trimmed and rounded off with a knife. yes.--about three it would be. it was better surely to face it like a man than to attempt to brighten it by mere will-o'-the-wisps of the imagination. sharp at one end and rounded at the other.Yet upon that afternoon. So it is. "that I depend for my success in this case upon the mere chance of one of these fellows having put his foot in the chemical." said Sherlock Holmes. do consider the data."Yes; he has followed my father's custom.

""He might. lightly. but the other man must.""Now. and sway with pleasure at the very sight of him.--don't promise too much!" snapped the detective. for he had not even to put his nose on the ground. cigarette-. which in that still and moonlit room was more jarring to the nerves than any scowl or contortion.""No. and that she detected a hollow ring in my congratulations."He disappeared upon the 3d of December."That is Jacobson's Yard. Now. and actually fires a pistol at him. is he?" said Holmes. They may have had some doubt at first as to whether we were really pursuing them. underneath its shadow. and he is most likely to have the same name as the father. In front a continuous stream of hansoms and four- wheelers were rattling up. "Cruise gently up and down here under cover of this string of lighters. I hardly think so. as if to ask for sympathy in his embarrassment.

 which I have every reason to believe to be poisoned. until the gray turban and white feather were but a speck in the sombre crowd. Now come up into the garret with me for a moment. in spite of its invisibility. An' I knows where the men he is after are."What is it." he answered. as I had lately seen. where there was a small wooden wharf. "I owe it to you. and dressed in the most perfect taste. But it's cursed hard that I should be lagged over this young Sholto. however. There are no less than four such numbers visible to my lens on the inside of this case.Yet upon that afternoon. massive house. And rather to Jonathan's disgust. They are undoubtedly by the same person. At the same moment the wooden- legged man threw himself upon the rudder and put it hard down. They have been pronounced by an expert to be of a rare variety and of considerable value. I am going to smoke and to think over this queer business to which my fair client has introduced us. With all the will in the world. and in excellent spirits.

 for the test was. So intractable and fierce are they that all the efforts of the British official have failed to win them over in any degree. Surely the game is hardly worth the candle."She glanced at iron box. sir. but would need some little time. Coupled with this distortion of the face." he answered. sir."The old man made a little run towards the door. that a half-pay surgeon should take such advantage of an intimacy which chance had brought about? Might she not look upon me as a mere vulgar fortune-seeker? I could not bear to risk that such a thought should cross her mind." said he."Sherlock Holmes took the lamp and led the way."I had heard nothing of him by breakfast-time. both boats flying at a tremendous pace."Ah. The diagram upon it appears to be a plan of part of a large building with numerous halls. because the thong is commonly passed between. Miss Morstan had remained behind with the frightened housekeeper. combined to make me nervous and depressed. On getting into the room I at once looked for the means by which the poison had entered the system. When I had succeeded in dissolving the hydrocarbon which I was at work at. and the whole air was heavy with the smell of creasote.

 I have been obliged to reconsider it. I will wait for you here if you will drive out again. He held his open note-book upon his knee. One tiny speck of blood showed where the puncture had been. I worked back to him through Carlyle. Cecil Forrester was out for the evening. "They have taken to a boat here. I shall make no secret of the business. If Mr." said he. and I caught something of Holmes's gaiety. fierce eyes." said I. It was only by putting our helm hard down that we avoided a collision. well-defined muddy discs. I do not know what to make of it. and the stuff has leaked out."He did not seem offended. and the whole air was heavy with the smell of creasote. On opening the Standard.""Then how in the name of all that is wonderful did you get these facts? They are absolutely correct in every particular. so that in walking one had to step from beam to beam. the same bloodless countenance.

 If she were seventeen at the time of her father's disappearance she must be seven-and-twenty now. It argues.' says he: 'time to turn out guard. and the runaways will think that every one is off on the wrong scent. The box was empty!No wonder that it was heavy. There was a singular prominence about his bearded chin which marked a man who was not to be easily turned from his purpose. but I observed that Holmes took his revolver from his drawer and slipped it into his pocket."The Sahib awaits you. the sending of the pearls. that a half-pay surgeon should take such advantage of an intimacy which chance had brought about? Might she not look upon me as a mere vulgar fortune-seeker? I could not bear to risk that such a thought should cross her mind." I said. for every hour is of importance. I have never looked upon a face which gave a clearer promise of a refined and sensitive nature. Was it fair."The object which he held up to me was a small pocket or pouch woven out of colored grasses and with a few tawdry beads strung round it. in a husky and confidential voice. and the whole air was heavy with the smell of creasote. Wiggins."That is where he put his foot in getting out. "So help me gracious. I didn't hear no one else. treasure. was in the man's scalp where you still see the mark; this card.

 She did not withdraw it. This. Had to be certain of your friends before I let them in. dressed n some sort of white diaphanous material." said I.""You are both very kind." he continued. His bed had not been slept in. taking the cup of tea which I had poured out for him."He led me out to the head of the stair."I wish you particularly to notice these footmarks. From the slight smile which played over Sherlock Holmes's face. Aided by this chart. especially towards the end of the rope. and within a minute the door was unbarred and open. I could only say what was the balance of probability.""Our course now seems pretty clear. a great shadow seemed to pass from my soul. Where the latter street turns into Knight's Place. and I sometimes think that my father may have told him more than he ever told me. Holmes?""No: I am not tired. too. "because you once enabled my employer.

 I cannot have the house invaded in this way. Sherlock is always welcome." said I. gazed hard at the dial. Mrs. belonged rightfully to Miss Morstan. Sholto and hold him while you were climbing the rope?""You seem to know as much about it as if you were there. The hasp sprang open with a loud snap. Whoever had lost a treasure. ending at last in a smell which fairly drove me out of the apartment.--or rather created it. I understand. earnestly." said he. "is never to let them think that their information can be of the slightest importance to you. though a fair climber. By her advice I published my address in the advertisement column. but for a sergeant up-stairs."I confess that I had my doubts myself when I reflected upon the great traffic which had passed along the London road in the interval.The situation was a curious one.""Then how in the name of all that is wonderful did you get these facts? They are absolutely correct in every particular.""I may be very obtuse. When I came down to our room I found the breakfast laid and Homes pouring out the coffee.

" said Holmes. while he looked with his keen. and I caught something of Holmes's gaiety. "But I certainly did not know that the Aurora was such a clipper. and we all stood with thumping hearts. Worse still. "that our wooden-legged friend. I see that the cab is at the door. Two officers who are in command of a convict-guard learn an important secret as to buried treasure. and the powerful engines whizzed and clanked. Holmes must find it all out for himself. when they take a watch. That is much more likely. McMurdo!" he said. relieved only by a suspicion of white feather in the side. Now we come out on the Vauxhall Bridge Road.""If you'll let one out it's just what I have come for. Evidently what puzzled the dog at the corner of Knight's Place was that there were two different trails running in opposite directions. sir: it's only a slow-worm. He is not a bad fellow. sir. He would send a scout on ahead. Man might have died in a fit; but then the jewels are missing.

"There is something devilish in this. Suddenly. Framework is solid. how did he depart? Ah. If Holmes could work to find the criminals. "Has anything else occurred to you?""Yes. "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains. Miss Morstan. would give rise to gossip. searches his private papers in the hope of discovering some memorandum relating to the treasure."It was nearly eleven o'clock when we reached this final stage of our night's adventures. and. Coupled with this distortion of the face. Thaddeus Sholto that I am anxious." Several small punts and skiffs were lying about in the water and on the edge of the wharf. Now examine the thorn. They have been pronounced by an expert to be of a rare variety and of considerable value. with the twinkle of a smile in his eyes. you say?""No. The case. to speak plainly. It was a wild and desolate place. and finally.

""And so am I."I should be proud and happy. lowered the treasure-box to the ground. Thaddeus. if you are crossing the river you may as well return Toby." said I. he put it back into the right-hand pocket of his jacket. She was clearly no mere paid dependant.""Oh. "My constitution has not got over the Afghan campaign yet." she shouted.""Had he any friends in town?""Only one that we know of. and then vanished once more upon the opposite side. and that at which we stopped was as dark as its neighbors.""My dear fellow. I said nothing of the exact manner and method of it. "They are disguised hands. pressed down the tiny piston. "Our friend won't keep us out in the cold now. I knows all about it. Mr. which involves increased tissue-change and may at last leave a permanent weakness. Athelney Jones proved to be a sociable soul in his hours of relaxation.

 and up and down."I looked at the round. "I think I shall have a pull at that flask." she explained. for he had not even to put his nose on the ground. I communicated with the police. at all events. It was absolutely and completely empty. the discovery of the Aurora. For myself." said Holmes. and Holmes despatched his wire. I do not know what to make of it. and."Is Mr. Bartholomew Sholto in joy and in sorrow for ten long years. These flashes come upon me at times. I want to find the whereabouts of a steam launch called the Aurora. engineer. we are not so quick in condemning them. There was a singular prominence about his bearded chin which marked a man who was not to be easily turned from his purpose. if I can get a fresh horse. What wrong can it refer to except this deprivation of her father? And why should the presents begin immediately after Sholto's death.

 she gave a toss of her proud head. and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen. He makes one curious but profound remark. some comfort. and was leaning back with drooping eyelids. if my memory serves me. On the contrary. It creaked and groaned. "it would prevent me from taking a second dose of cocaine. of Scotland Yard."What the deuce is the matter with the dog?" growled Holmes.--a very able and efficient ally. I suppose?""You must not be later." said I. her lip trembled. as there is no concealment possible.""Smith says she is one of the fastest launches on the river. and a porter. Then I heard him talking to himself and muttering. and I cannot be sure when he will be back. It creaked and groaned. and rough-looking men were emerging. and.

 then?" I reiterated. and instantly rose again with a sharp intaking of the breath.--marks where the key has slipped. I confess that I am surprised and disappointed. It was a shock to me to hear that I had placed my friends in such horrible peril. On the contrary.""His luggage?""Remained at the hotel. Mrs."You will not apply my precept. as like as not. HOWEVER IMPROBABLE."Hum! There was no use your giving this unnecessary trouble. together with a half-sovereign. for he had not even to put his nose on the ground. His appearance is--well. Aided by this chart. Evidently what puzzled the dog at the corner of Knight's Place was that there were two different trails running in opposite directions. But there are not many launches to beat us. I begin to suspect that this matter may turn out to be much deeper and more subtle than I at first supposed. Holmes? Sholto was. surprised look come over his face. There is no other white man. There was no name or address appended.

 without any clue as to the sender. only clearing her by a few feet. As it was. on consulting the back files of the Times. naughty. and arrested them when they came down."We must take care that he does not now bring us to the place where the creasote-barrel came from. It fairly shook me." said the Standard. and usually afford valuable indications as to the criminal. down near the water's edge at Lambeth." I said to Mrs."The old scale of pay. with an hysterical sob. for all beneath was in shadow. She lives with Mrs. in case of resistance. and I heard him lock the door as I came down-stairs. Watson?""I have my old service-revolver in my desk. The sandal-wearing Mohammedan has the great toe well separated from the others."Master has locked himself in and will not answer me. There was one man at the rudder. How small we feel with our petty ambitions and strivings in the presence of the great elemental forces of nature! Are you well up in your Jean Paul?""Fairly so.

 to judge by the way he stamped about when he got into the room. and showed me six of the finest pearls that I had ever seen.""What then?" I asked. which is repeated from year to year."At that moment. underneath its shadow. There has. however. I came back to our problem of the Sholtos.--"some strychnine-like substance which would produce tetanus. with a thrill of horror. 'Wir sind gewohnt das die Menschen verhoehnen was sie nicht verstehen." I answered. Up to the small hours of the morning I could hear the clinking of his test-tubes which told me that he was still engaged in his malodorous experiment. sir. This man Small is a pretty shrewd fellow.""We must get on the main scent again. Jewelry usually descends to the eldest son. Lie down there on the sofa.In the early dawn I woke with a start. "You will excuse me. Sholto.By the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment