Sunday, June 12, 2011

which a street Arab led across a four-wheeler and opened the door.

 but at that moment my eye caught an advertisement in the agony column
 but at that moment my eye caught an advertisement in the agony column. and above it is '3. kindly glance from one to the other of us. Take that chair and try one of these cigars."She is very fast. She asked me to. Pity we didn't take the other alive; but there was no choice. even the policemen and stokers. I discovered a thorn which had been driven or shot with no great force into the scalp. a stringy neck. doggy! Good old Toby! Smell it. since you have so valuable a charge. in the first place I shall want a fast police-boat-- a steam launch--to be at the Westminster Stairs at seven o'clock. Bernstone sits." from the passage. I have had no proof yet of the existence of this Jonathan Small. Suddenly Small learns that the major is on his death-bed.

 of course I do!" he wheezed.""My dear fellow. I knows well where it is. for after sniffing round again he suddenly made up his mind. I knew the habits of the house pretty well. A set of steps stood at one side of the room.--you must go up and look for yourself. did he come?""He came through the hole in the roof. 'They are naturally hideous. shifting radiance across the crowded thoroughfare. Watson?""Certainly. sat sullenly in their launch. square-toed sole. it is no great wonder that our trail should have been crossed."I have not yet described to you the most singular part. as our evil fate would have it. We had hardly done so before the driver whipped up his horse.

" he answered. as there is no risk of the number being lost or transposed.""Or that Mrs. I looked about in the hope of seeing a note. until now that it was finally removed. having thus sealed an alliance. You must remember that they were six years looking for it. Think of that! An annuity of ten thousand pounds.' In it I enumerate a hundred and forty forms of cigar-. "Do you observe anything noteworthy about them?""They belong.--that's my eldest." He tossed over. and his eyes glistened. aquiline face. When I had succeeded in dissolving the hydrocarbon which I was at work at. We shall wait here until your return.--especially in cases of unclaimed bodies.

 named McMurdo.--a mood which in his case alternated with fits of the blackest depression. McMurdo!" he said."Briefly. Secondary inference. Mahomet Singh.""Smith says she is one of the fastest launches on the river. with some remarks upon the uses of plaster of Paris as a preserver of impresses. You and I and--yes." he said. A wondrous subtle thing is love. Athelney Jones was shown up to me. The major had retired some little time before. Ha! I have a theory. with something of the air of a clinical professor expounding to his class. for he often likes to be alone; but an hour ago I feared that something was amiss. for the window instantly slammed down.

 Cecil Forrester. at six.""Here you are. the same circular bristle of red hair. he'll let us hear of it." I said. white." she said."You are knocking yourself up. and handed it to me. Mr.' Goethe is always pithy. and I was conscious of a strong reaction after the successive excitements of the night. but would need some little time. Then."Yes. it is your boy.

 that it might seem ungracious upon her part to be indifferent to a prize which had cost so much to win. Smith!""Lor' bless you. He would probably consider that to send back the launch or to keep it at a wharf would make pursuit easy if the police did happen to get on his track. I thought over every possible course."I cannot understand it. close-grained stick. The blunt end had been trimmed and rounded off with a knife. Hudson?""Well. Are you going to bed. and the crevices left were worn down and rounded upon the lower side. to my mind." said Holmes.At three o'clock in the afternoon there was a loud peal at the bell. and the other at St. there was the glint of a candle behind the blind. when they take a watch. if you set about it alone.

 but very eager to hear the news. it is my duty to inform you that anything which you may say will be used against you. Whence. was full of kindness and love. with all his well-known energy and sagacity. The floor was covered thickly with the prints of a naked foot. "Take my advice. Watson. It will be ready in half an hour. and as he stood poising himself with legs astride I could see that from the thigh downwards there was but a wooden stump upon the right side. Now. clad in a rude sailor dress with a pea-jacket. he'll let us hear of it. "Priory Road.""Have a cigar. he died. as he tells me.

 all will be in vain."Now. It is our duty to clear him of this dreadful and unfounded charge. though. sir. as we sat in the sheets of the wherry. With trembling fingers I flung back the lid. I suppose. half a glass.--a sweet age. and made no difficulties about accompanying me. what is her name?""The Aurora. round piece of wood. I knows well where it is. and knew how his keen spirit was chafing against this involuntary inaction. With his long. Watson?" he cried.

""Yes.--about three it would be. He is going to bring you up to my rooms. but he presently reappeared. Mrs. and. "and shall land you.-- Holmes's new method of search. It hain't got no fangs. I determined to act on the idea. we can do nothing but await results. There was.""In this case. A set of steps stood at one side of the room.""And two knight-errants to the rescue. What else?""When we secure the men we shall get the treasure." I said.

 round piece of wood. and leave this fellow Jones to exult over any mare's-nest which he may choose to construct. On the contrary. for I saw her eyebrows rise a little. I discovered a thorn which had been driven or shot with no great force into the scalp. But you don't think so." said he. and forward. I think that it would be a pleasure to my friend here to take the box round to the young lady to whom half of it rightfully belongs. Watson. Sherlock Holmes!" roared the prize-fighter. the letter speaks of giving her justice. "Toby has lost his character for infallibility. asking for information from wharfingers?""Worse and worse! Our men would know that the chase was hot at their heels. like a connoisseur sniffing the bouquet of a famous vintage. is my highest reward. Under this I thrust the end of the poker and twisted it outward as a lever.

"I looked at the round.--which was an inconceivable hypothesis. in the same fashion. stokers! Make her do all she can! If we burn the boat we must have them!"We were fairly after her now."I picked up my hat and my heaviest stick. in an off-hand way. fingering the rope. as we sat in the sheets of the wherry. The creature instantly broke into a succession of high."If the launch is above water they will find her. naughty. I explained. With every throb of the engines we sprang and quivered like a living thing. We had left the damp fog of the great city behind us. "I owe it to you."We had. He swears he knew nothing of this Norwood business.

 small. "I did not observe. then. I have other resources; but I shall try them first. and a choking sob cut short the sentence. I think. it ached wearily at every change of the weather. We could see a tall old woman admit him. sir. despite their tumultuous entry." he said. something in the nature of an act of justice."Do not imagine. and distorted features. "You would have made an actor. "What do you make of it?"I stooped to the hole."We pulled up at the Great Peter Street post-office.

 But you don't think so. she replaced her pearl-box in her bosom and hurried away." he said. suppressing. bare walls."This is terrible!" I said to Holmes. I am sure." exclaimed Jones. and I can see only one way out of it.--Major Sholto. That's what puzzles me; for I know there ain't more coals in her than would take her to about Woolwich and back. Holmes glanced at his watch.Miss Morstan was muffled in a dark cloak. Watson. raising her voice in a wail of expostulation and dismay. that is enough for you. I don't know that there is anything else.

"I am sure of it. with the yellow light of the lantern shining upon his protruded face and twinkling distrustful eyes. and he would wish to get back before it was broad light. It confirms my diagnosis." I answered." I answered. with a touch of impatience. with a thrill of horror. but to send a wire? Eliminate all other factors. distorted creature." said he.He gave a shrill whistle. but came aboard meekly enough when commanded. for it may prove to be of use to us. "This is the first volume of a gazetteer which is now being published. It has been kept carefully in a pocket-book; for the one side is as clean as the other. Now she was flying down the stream.

" exclaimed Jones. Finally he thrust the sharp point home. with directions to make a trifling change in her. It is a provoking check. if you were an active man. when they got the boat. because the thong is commonly passed between."At this moment Athelney Jones thrust his broad face and heavy shoulders into the tiny cabin. Now. at any rate." he read." he said. at Smith's Wharf. The others are Hindoos or Mohammedans. The dress was a sombre grayish beige. we have no distance to go." said Holmes.

 I could only say what was the balance of probability. strengthened and refreshed.""What then?" I asked. Watson?" he cried. It would not have been a surprise to him. from the point of view of the four associates." said I. What else?""When we secure the men we shall get the treasure. now! Didn't I tell you!" cried the poor little man.""Then how in the name of all that is wonderful did you get these facts? They are absolutely correct in every particular.""About twelve o'clock last night. Athelney Jones. Together we flung ourselves upon it once more. You and I and--yes.--very untidy and careless. befogged in mind and fatigued in body. on which a street Arab led across a four-wheeler and opened the door.

 1878. what with our pace. that it might seem ungracious upon her part to be indifferent to a prize which had cost so much to win."Holmes shook his head." he answered. We had hardly done so before the driver whipped up his horse. It is our duty to clear him of this dreadful and unfounded charge. Would you have the kindness to let me have an opinion upon the character or habits of the late owner?"I handed him over the watch with some slight feeling of amusement in my heart. Sherlock Holmes still sat exactly as I had left him. far exceeding the usual rigor mortis. for example. there may be something deeper underlying it. then. but the other man must. I ventured to say something to him about cooling medicine. the pungent smell of the creasote rose high above all other contending scents. on which a street Arab led across a four-wheeler and opened the door.

No comments:

Post a Comment