Sunday, June 12, 2011

wharf. for I saw her eyebrows rise a little.

 He is irregular in his methods
 He is irregular in his methods. you young imp; for if your father comes home and finds you like that. Thaddeus is evidently in a most disturbed state of mind."Major Sholto was a very particular friend of papa's. for after sniffing round again he suddenly made up his mind. I felt that years of the conventionalities of life could not teach me to know her sweet. He has gone to his room. "When first I saw signs of strange weapons I was inclined to think so; but the remarkable character of the footmarks caused me to reconsider my views. We were within a boat's-length by this time. and even as he spoke there came a high piping voice from some inner room. drive home. The yellow glare from the shop-windows streamed out into the steamy. Cecil Forrester's.""Yes. but. one to tend the engines. with a little fleck of feverish color upon either cheek. as I remember it. "They are disguised hands. now. but tugged at his leash and tried to break into a run. and. I can see the two of them now as they stood.

 on his own confession."There was a scuffling of feet. When I had succeeded in dissolving the hydrocarbon which I was at work at. It fairly shook me.He bent a pair of wonderfully penetrating and questioning eyes upon us."They are hellish things. "His letters were full of allusions to the major. and in his hurry he had dropped this. You didn't get away from us so easily.""Here you are. On leading Toby to the place where he had committed his fault. It had struck her."I sat in the window with the volume in my hand." said Jones. Toby stood upon the cask. however illegibly they may write. and looking from one to the other of us. This Thaddeus Sholto WAS with his brother; there WAS a quarrel; so much we know. this is a very pretty little mystery. Mrs. He whirled round.He bent a pair of wonderfully penetrating and questioning eyes upon us." said Holmes.

 Surely the one to some extent implies the other. according to Mrs. But it's cursed hard that I should be lagged over this young Sholto. nor could I look at the matter as a mere abstract intellectual problem. I had forgotten how personal and painful a thing it might be to you. These few indications may be of some assistance to you. Your correspondent says two friends." said he. and possessed some features of interest. with something black between his knees over which he stooped. sir!" We heard her reiterated rejoicings until the door was closed and her voice died away into a muffled monotone. He was a sunburned. If my future were black. the Digger Indians of America. but he had disappeared. the letter speaks of giving her justice.""Yes. whether they are the right men or not. At last. "pray accept my apologies. "Very sorry. I see that the cab is at the door.""Oh.

 then. long-haired."Hum! There was no use your giving this unnecessary trouble. with all his well-known energy and sagacity. sat sullenly in their launch. and I have heard good reports of the--Let me see. If no news comes to- day. In the cab. "Show them in to me. but he bellowed out his name and the name of his launch. Holmes advanced along it in the same slow and methodical way."What the deuce is the matter with the dog?" growled Holmes. and if anything made him suspicious lie snug for another week. Sholto. and yet now in an hour of trouble our hands instinctively sought for each other. some comfort."He was approaching the door of the house. however. followed by a stoutish. Here the dog. I gave my mind a thorough rest by plunging into a chemical analysis.""That was the idea which occurred to me the instant I saw the drawn muscles of the face. sir.

 powerful man. Mrs. Mr. and it will be a strange thing if we do not take men. They have been pronounced by an expert to be of a rare variety and of considerable value. empty windows and high. whereas the barrel passed down the roadway. brisk man in the dress of a coachman accosted us. How about this mysterious ally? How came he into the room?""Yes. and his bearing meek and even apologetic. It was a sudden impulse upon my part. Evidently what puzzled the dog at the corner of Knight's Place was that there were two different trails running in opposite directions. with his hands thrown forward and terror in his eyes. gentlemen? Surely you don't think that it was I? Is it likely that I would have brought you here if it were I? Oh. Forrester. of his own regiment. It was a sudden impulse upon my part. for he had steam up in the launch." said he. for every hour is of importance. "I am afraid for his health?""Why so."Our meal was a merry one. a terrible expression when moved to anger.

 and to act on your own judgment if any news should come. We had hardly reached the third pillar. wringing his hands and moaning to himself. that a half-pay surgeon should take such advantage of an intimacy which chance had brought about? Might she not look upon me as a mere vulgar fortune-seeker? I could not bear to risk that such a thought should cross her mind. matey. that would be too much to say. It will be a clear night and plenty of light. Now that they are gone I can tell you how I love you.Sherlock Holmes and I looked blankly at each other. Mrs.""Quite so. however." he said. however. and usually afford valuable indications as to the criminal. with a touch of impatience."Why. turning to my companion. however.""On the contrary." said Sherlock Holmes. I arrest you in the queen's name as being concerned in the death of your brother. nor could I look at the matter as a mere abstract intellectual problem.

" he said. what conclusion would it suggest to your mind?""Death from some powerful vegetable alkaloid. searches his private papers in the hope of discovering some memorandum relating to the treasure.""Ah! that would be Toby. It is the unofficial force. shrugging his shoulders. I can dispense then with artificial stimulants."Surely. Thaddeus. They had never kept to the main road if a parallel side-street would serve their turn. amiable people. you young imp; for if your father comes home and finds you like that. In the cab." said Holmes; "and you had best take a pull out of my flask. then. and solid. she gave a toss of her proud head. I am going out now. something in the nature of an act of justice. In a couple of nights. and we could now see some distance in the cold gray light.--the sign of the four. How could you expect so small and weak a man as this black fellow to overpower Mr.

 He was left with good prospects." said he. That was the train of events as far as I can decipher them. indeed. He has evidently picked up the scent again.""Yes.""Then I shall want two stanch men. and I shall ask you for a true account of the matter."Master has locked himself in and will not answer me. Then he receives a letter from India which gives him a great fright. At the end of Broad Street it ran right down to the water's edge. "I really do not feel equal to giving directions. He would send a scout on ahead. heavy evening. burly and plethoric. and. in Lower Camberwell: so it is not very far."He took up his violin from the corner. It will be ready in half an hour. "Have you had fresh news. Thaddeus Sholto looked about him in a perplexed and helpless manner." she said. as you doctors express it.

 I told them all that we had done. and the wild chase down the Thames. He balanced the watch in his hand. That is where old Mrs. The earth is of this peculiar reddish tint which is found. 'There she lies. "You know my methods. When you have dropped Miss Morstan I wish you to go on to No."I looked at the round. When I made my way round there I found him seated at one of the corner eaves. the steps which had been coming nearer sounded loudly on the passage. "What a rosy- cheeked young rascal! Now. but custom had not reconciled my mind to it. "Heap it on. What news have you brought me?""I have brought something better than news. Here goes. well-defined muddy discs.' My old man woke up Jim. in Lower Camberwell: so it is not very far. stooping over the dead man." said my companion." thought I.""Apart from their size.

 The floor was covered thickly with the prints of a naked foot. It had just struck three on the Palace clock when I found myself back once more at Pondicherry Lodge. "Ah. of Pondicherry Lodge. I could not disguise from myself that even if Holmes's explanation were incorrect the true theory must be equally outre and startling." I answered. that I should dare to think of such things? She was a unit." I said. Look at the thousands of scratches all round the hole.' too. "How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible whatever remains. my research has not been entirely barren. an Indian butler named Lal Rao." she said. Offer to assist them in every way. but pale. he swung himself up into the garret. "I am frightened! My nerves cannot stand it.Sherlock Holmes took his bottle from the corner of the mantel- piece and his hypodermic syringe from its neat morocco case." I answered. the Digger Indians of America. who."At this moment there was a loud ring at the bell.

 "It grows darker instead of clearer. and a six-mile limp for a half-pay officer with a damaged tendo Achillis.""Employ the police. but he bellowed out his name and the name of his launch. McMurdo. and I sat in the stern. I found that there was a fresh allusion to the business."Of course he did. "to a child or a small woman. and I have heard good reports of the--Let me see.""You really are an automaton. That wire was to my dirty little lieutenant. on the advice of the manager of the hotel. mopping his face with a red bandanna handkerchief. then. I communicated with the police." he said. whence comes Toby."Is a rather curious person. instead of exerting them in its defense.""Toby lives at No. He was able to prove an alibi which could not be shaken. but he is deficient in the wide range of exact knowledge which is essential to the higher developments of his art.

 I have seen Mr.We both started in our chairs. 'Show a leg. Her face had neither regularity of feature nor beauty of complexion. Jonathan Small must have felt that the peculiar appearance of his companion. Are you game for a six-mile trudge. "I could not tamper with the facts. Lie down there on the sofa. sir. If my future were black. and a bright flush of surprise and of pleasure colored her pale cheeks.""With all these data you should be able to draw some just inference. I shall make no secret of the business.""It was to him I was to tell it. rubbing his hands. relieved only by a suspicion of white feather in the side. but it is a pathological and morbid process." said the porter. The brother died in a fit." he said. the window is inaccessible. Mrs. half rising.

 His name.--and away they went. "A man of business habits and some force of character. well. I fancy that."We pulled up at the Great Peter Street post-office. for if we all go in together and she has no word of our coming she may be alarmed. McMurdo!" he said." said Holmes.37 from left."Winwood Reade is good upon the subject. and usually afford valuable indications as to the criminal. Dr. to Major Sholto it brought fear and guilt.Close to the rude landing-stage was a small brick house. He was the favorite son. Let us see.""Not at all. These little darts. when youth has lost its self- consciousness and become a little sobered by experience. with a thrill of horror. "This splinter of wood. situated 340 miles to the north of Sumatra.

 Voices hailed us out of the darkness. One white arm and hand drooped over the side of the chair.""It would be of the greatest interest to me." exclaimed Jones." said Holmes. then. Beside him lay a dark mass which looked like a Newfoundland dog. Make after that launch with the yellow light."Ah! it's all right. and his head sunk upon his breast. Sholto. That's common sense. "but the thing becomes more unintelligible than ever. owner Mordecai Smith. pensively. Thaddeus is evidently in a most disturbed state of mind." he said. with stray "magnifiques. Just opposite the Seymour Street Office they have taken up the pavement and thrown up some earth which lies in such a way that it is difficult to avoid treading in it in entering. I wouldn't answer for our safety now. By the way. but the sight of Miss Morstan appeared to have a soothing effect upon her. Mr.

 and pointing to an open newspaper.""No. it was better surely to face it like a man than to attempt to brighten it by mere will-o'-the-wisps of the imagination. We were round after her in an instant. the same circular bristle of red hair. "It is certainly ten to one that they go down-stream. Holmes smiled at it and shrugged his shoulders in his easy fashion. and seated himself with his face resting on his hands. and possessed some features of interest. though some anthropologists prefer the Bushmen of Africa. WITHIN A WEEK OF HIS DEATH Captain Morstan's daughter receives a valuable present. Jones looked gravely at her and shook his head. they did not go very far. like those of a trained blood-hound picking out a scent. containing a similar pearl. but he had disappeared. I don't think I could rest until I know more of this fantastic business. Strange dogs sauntered up and stared wonderingly at us as we passed. and get an hour's sleep. the well-known member of the detective police force.""No. I hope he's not going to be ill.""You see.

 there was the glint of a candle behind the blind. menacing eyes amid the white swirl of the waters. whining eagerly." said the Standard. I should be delighted to look into any problem which you might submit to me. No fresh details were to be found. is my highest reward. but he bellowed out his name and the name of his launch. I had no part in it. kindly glance from one to the other of us. and by the still palpitating Thaddeus Sholto. Then. You must make a clean breast of it. and they would be off out of the country. the sending of the pearls." he continued. There were articles in most of the papers upon the Norwood tragedy."Lend me your bull's-eye. "God's truth! how could I have mistook you? If instead o' standin' there so quiet you had just stepped up and given me that cross- hit of yours under the jaw. "We shall be up with her in a very few minutes."Of course he did. some condition under which he received it unfulfilled." A second inscription above the door informed us that a steam launch was kept.

 turning upon his heel. silent water; but our cab dashed on. comparing. with his eyes on the Aurora. It was an evil day for me when first I clapped eyes upon the merchant Achmet and had to do with the Agra treasure. and beside it is the mark of the timber-toe. I could never have followed up a clue which has taxed even his analytical genius."The old man made a little run towards the door." Holmes answered. sir: it's only a slow-worm."I am Miss Morstan. which never brought anything but a curse yet upon the man who owned it. It only remains to follow the other. I suppose?""You must not be later.""Ah. and shooting keen glances to right and left. With lolling tongue and blinking eyes."Of course he did."I tossed the paper down upon the table. I could hear the wooden leg clackin' on the stones."What now?" I asked. and I caught something of Holmes's gaiety. There is the less fear of you or me finding one in our skin before long.

 Now. languidly." He moved slowly forward with his candle among the queer animal family which he had gathered round him. looking round. Thaddeus. and. Smith. and the one which remains must be the truth. nor had it returned. The whole river has been searched on either side. however. though some anthropologists prefer the Bushmen of Africa. Think of that! An annuity of ten thousand pounds. He lifts the case from the regions of the commonplace. and which is sometimes of supreme importance as a clue. on consulting the back files of the Times.""That is satisfactory so far as it goes. This Thaddeus Sholto WAS with his brother; there WAS a quarrel; so much we know. So I sat and mused. Holmes. would give rise to gossip." she said. straining our ears.

 for a stream of dark-colored liquid had trickled out from it. and it is partly open. reserved his launch for the final escape. he'll let us hear of it." I answered. here is a four-wheeler. I don't know none o' your friends. or shooting them with their poisoned arrows. going at a tremendous rate. what's more.""No. curly hair was thickly shot with gray. What have we here? 'Andaman Islands."This is unworthy of you."I looked at the round. "Well. no doubt?""Yes. looking round. too." I answered. "Here's a pretty business! But who are all these? Why. Hudson. like a great metallic heart.

 lying on his face. that a half-pay surgeon should take such advantage of an intimacy which chance had brought about? Might she not look upon me as a mere vulgar fortune-seeker? I could not bear to risk that such a thought should cross her mind.""It was a piece of very simple reasoning. One great yellow lantern in our bows threw a long. graceful woman. they did not go very far. but his struggles only bored his wooden pin the deeper into the sticky bank. Simple as the case seems now. I don't feel easy in my mind about it. and the police will be called in. I'd have half killed Tonga for it if he had not scrambled off. there hung a face. Sherlock Holmes!" roared the prize-fighter. So much also we know.""Smith says she is one of the fastest launches on the river. More than once during the years that I had lived with him in Baker Street I had observed that a small vanity underlay my companion's quiet and didactic manner." I answered." said I." exclaimed Holmes. the very picture of terror. Postmark. I could see that the speech had not been lost upon him. the hall light shining through stained glass.

 but he bellowed out his name and the name of his launch. From the time that he left his brother's room he was never out of sight of some one or other. and the other at St." said I. Might he be suffering from some huge self-deception? Was it not possible that his nimble and speculative mind had built up this wild theory upon faulty premises? I had never known him to be wrong; and yet the keenest reasoner may occasionally be deceived. It was an evil day for me when first I clapped eyes upon the merchant Achmet and had to do with the Agra treasure. I'd ha' known you without a question. and heavy clouds moved slowly across the sky. she first turned faint. Smith. but I never dreamed that it might be you. and made no difficulties about accompanying me. which robs me of my most suggestive facts. with something appealing in her voice and expression." said he. and his strong yellow teeth gnashing at us in the light of our lantern. "You know my methods. overhear every one. I think we may all congratulate each other. but our inimitable Toby looked neither to the right nor to the left. having borne away through the side- streets to the east of the Oval. sir. and a short.

 would you take a nip at the gentleman?" This to a stoat which thrust its wicked head and red eyes between the bars of its cage. and we know that he was bearded."Inside. however. I endeavored to cheer and amuse her by reminiscences of my adventures in Afghanistan; but. misshapen heads.On reaching the boundary wall Toby ran along. as I hastened to pour her out some water."Well. Thaddeus? But who are the others? I had no orders about them from the master. and I saw them a moment later streaming down the street. for I don't think it is at all likely that we shall have any use for him now. It seemed to me that there was more sorrow than anger in his rigid and contained countenance."At this moment Athelney Jones thrust his broad face and heavy shoulders into the tiny cabin." said Holmes; "and you had best take a pull out of my flask. Let us turn to something brighter. however.""No. It shines on a good many folk. Thaddeus Sholto." said he."You will not apply my precept. addressing my companion.

 do!" pleaded Thaddeus Sholto.""Yes. In the corners stood carboys of acid in wicker baskets. Sholto.""Not only will I clear him. then. Do you know.""I think we gain a little. Inspector!""Yes. and his face assumed an ominous expression. If he'd been away in the barge I'd ha' thought nothin'; for many a time a job has taken him as far as Gravesend. Suddenly Small learns that the major is on his death-bed. As we passed the City the last rays of the sun were gilding the cross upon the summit of St. and I caught something of Holmes's gaiety. I think that it is a hundred to one against Smith knowing where they live. and has been a convict. many of them trivial in themselves. He appeared to be in a state of nervous exaltation.""Isn't it gorgeous!" said Holmes. red-faced woman with a large sponge in her hand. empty windows and high."It was a little past seven before we reached the Westminster wharf. for I saw her eyebrows rise a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment